About to buy 13" BRAKES...OPINIONS PLEASE!!! (SSBC vs COBRA brakes)

• Sponsors (?)

I upgraded from stock SN95 GT to Cobra fronts w/ steel lines. :nice: No more mush.

It's a gigantic improvement over the OEM parts' stopping power and feel. I barely have to touch the pedal to haul it in now and I can feel exactly what's going on down there through the pedal. OEM Cobra pads and rotors work great.

Don't worry about the rears. Just get better pads and paint the calipers (if you're worried about cosmetics). You can run steel lines in the back for that much better pedal feel and expansion resistance.

Man, if you really want to go all out and spend the money, go to steeda and get the 13in Brembo 4piston kit for the front and matching slotted or drilled rotors for the rear and pads. SS brake lines all the way around, Brembo is hands down the best in my opinion. I'm going with that kit, which it is very pricey but all go and no stop...well that tree ahead doesn't look very assuring lol. At my local speed shop i can get the Brembo kit from steeda for $1075 shipped with slotted rotors. There might be other places cheaper..but a good investment none the less if you have the extra cash.

Just my .02 and good luck on finding what you need.

Cory J.

Cavallo said:
I plan on geting the Cobra kit.
I like the PLAIN rotor look and stock caliper look.

Whole kit is like $789
Two Cobra Front Calipers and Pads
Two Cobra Rear Calipers and Pads
Two Front 13 inch Rotors
Two Rear 11.65 inch Rotors
Caliper Mounting Brackets
Moan Braces
Dust Shield and Bolts
Banjo Bolts
Front OEM Cobra Brake Lines

All I know, stock for stock my 01 Cobra stops WAY better then my GT........

I found this kit for $835 http://www.blueovalindustries.com/brakes.htm Where are you finding it for $789?

I love it when people think brakes are a waste of money. I like SSBC but they are so expensive; I think it would be more cost effective to go with the Cobra kit or a Baer kit. I know Baer has several different kits available; I would reccomend calling them, saying exactly what you want out of your braking system, and see what they say. Call around to a few distributors and see what their salespeople/techs have to say about people who have purchased the kits; if anything is wrong with them they would be the first group of people to hear about it.

I have found no data on the SSBC brakes as far a 60-0 and repeatability.

now I know on my 01 the calipures are pretty good to start with. so there is no huge 60-0 increase from the cobra kit.

there is a repeatability advantage due to the larger rottors disipating the heat better.

when I looked into the only kit that showed a huge 60-0 (panic stop basically) increase was the four piston roush and baer kits that were like 2k.

they reduced that distance by 25 feet. now 2k is alot of money but 25 feet could be the diffence in much more money that that in the long run.

Pirateinastang said:
98stangv8, That looks really nice! How much did a setup like that run you? If you don't mind me asking. I would be interested in something like that big time if it's not to much money also did you install them yourself?

I paid 2,000 for all 4 rotors and calipers. That price includes an extra 100 per caliper to have them powder coated blue....if you don't want them powdercoated, it was only like 1600. Also keep in mind I paid more for the cross drilled/slotted rotors. I looked at the brembo 4 piston calipers originally, but they wouldn't fit my 17X8 fronts, and I didn't want to change my rims. I am happy now that I went with these. I put them in myself; the fronts were easy, the rears were tricky because the set comes with a new e brake cable, that is a little tricky to put on...but you can eventually get it..

Just my .02 but I recently got the cobra front rotors and calipers from GEF Racing for $425.00, with drilled slotted rotors, and the B aer 13" D/S kit from Brothers perf.warehouse for $250.00 both shipped lightning fast. Love the look, the Baers are noisy , but the combo stops amazingly. For God's sake do not order from Speed Concepts (that's a nightmare for another day) they have low prices but their service BLOWS!!!!!!

I am in Canada, after shipping and all the taxes I will pay, like I said the cobra will only be saving me $230...I think the SSBC and Baer 13" rear is a good deal. Im not sure if you guys are understanding my situation.

91LX_5L said:
I am in Canada, after shipping and all the taxes I will pay, like I said the cobra will only be saving me $230...I think the SSBC and Baer 13" rear is a good deal. Im not sure if you guys are understanding my situation.

keep in mind that with the set of BAER rears mentioned above, you are only getting rotors and pads...it is not a full "kit" IMO, it isn't worth upgrading if that is all you are getting for the rears...

Silvr04GT said:
The thing that sucks about any of the Ford Racing brake kits is they usually come with with rotors and pads. I want to do that upgrade but then I'll have to wait for a bit to get the PowerSlot Rotors and Hawk Pads. Cause I would guess there isn't much of a market for plain ol' Cobra rotors and pads.

you can go to discbrakesrus.com and match the cobra calipers(many choices of color) with either plain, slotted, slotted/drilled rotors, Your Choice. I think their prices are pretty reasonable too. Why get the Baer Fronts for more, they are the same calipers as the cobras.

Anyone have any performance comparisons on the SSBC vs Cobra?

If I was going to spend that much, I'd look into the Cobra R brembo kit, $899 at www.buyfordracing.com Brembo is a proven brake company. The total would be close to the same.

With braking stopping distances increases as the force of the caliper increases, until it reaches lockup, after which is just slides and does nothing. That is why ABS is so important, at least a good ABS set up.

So at 30 mph, with the same tires, if your current brakes can lockup your tires complete and hold it until you slow to a complete stop, any larger brakes will make NO DIFFERENCE. because you are just locking up your tires more. AND yes you do stop faster if you don't lockup.

However a I doubt the current brakes can lockup at something like 70mph, and that is where bigger brakes comes in, in addition to greater area to dissapate heat.

After you can lock up your tires, your stopping distance is entirely depedent on yoru ability to modulate the brakes and the tire's adhesion.

Mustang4119 said:
Hey dude, you have a stock GT with a automatic. Stop talking. Actually brake upgrade is good I have the front brembo big brake kit with cross drilled.

Theoretically a bigger brake kit will not allow you stop any faster, it may have better "feel" or initial bite, but you will stop in the same distance.

ponysarepretty said:
Theoretically a bigger brake kit will not allow you stop any faster, it may have better "feel" or initial bite, but you will stop in the same distance.

ok...theoretically...where are you getting that info? I can tell you that my stopping time has decreased a ton after my brake upgrade...I cannot lock my brakes up now...If I am going 55mph and push my brake pedal to the ground as hard as I can, they won't lock up...I just STOP....