AC compressor 02 GT

Mine leaked at 31,000m. Was replaced June 2010 and is leaking oil. I missed the 12-12 warranty and have to buy it again. Has less than 1000m on it. It was put on at a dealer. Replacement unit was a rebuild one and the next one will be a rebuilt also. How is your experience with refurbished AC compressors?

• Sponsors (?)

No experience with refurbished, but I have tried a couple j-yard compressors. The first one lasted about a month and locked up. I was fed up with trying to fix the system after a leak at the condenser and a couple leaks in hoses. This summer, I bought a 200k mile compressor from the j-yard for another 30$, evacuated and filled the system with twice that cost in freeon and it worked great all summer long. Considering hot terrible this summer was, I am satisfied already.

Just wondering, did anyone replace the orifice tube, receiver/dryer, and flush the coils before installing the new/rebuilt/salvage compressor?

The need to do this work depends upon how the previous compressor failed. If the compressor fails in-service, the oil will be contaminated. If not completely removed, this may cause the service life of the replacement to be short.

You seem to be going through compressors quickly....

May I suggest that you do the work yourself this time?

I don't trust anyone but myself to do work on my car and wouldn't put it past a technician to either forget or simply neglect to evacuate the system after putting on the new compressor.

Water in your PAG oil will kill your system quick. When you put a vacuum on the system (and it holds steady for a few minutes) the extreme low/no pressure causes any atmospheric water vapor to crystallize and freeze and will be pulled out of the system.

You can do this yourself with a rental vacuum pump from auto zone.

I replaced a hose on my A/C system and saved hundreds of dollars by doing it myself.

I would strongly encourage you to inject UV dye into the system when you refill the refrigerant. I don't know how much to add, but check on the PAG oil as well, it is necessary to keep the system lubricated.

Just wondering, did anyone replace the orifice tube, receiver/dryer, and flush the coils before installing the new/rebuilt/salvage compressor?
Not sure what was done. It still blows very cold air. Just has a film of oil on the bottom of the compressor. It was rendered "leaking oil"
You seem to be going through compressors quickly....

May I suggest that you do the work yourself this time?
I would if I could. Not something I want to deal with. But thanks for the info.