Accu 75 added...spooky looking plugs !!!

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
Well I finally got around to putting the car on the road as the mornings are getting chilly with the bike...
I added a GT40 upper and had to fab another CAI...So I had this Accu 75 I bought a year or so ago and figured why not throw it on. The car seems to run the balls with it...Idle took no problem...she idles a nice lumpy 800 or so, sounds cammier then ever??...I was really impressed with the steady idle...throttle response is spot on, although its way touchy...it runs the balls right up to 5500 no problem...
I run about 75 miles or so on and all seems cool...only thing is I got a real rich smell to the exhaust, and its woofing fuel bigtime??? Seems odd as I figured it would be the opposite with the 75 going on it, the fuel stank that is...So tonite I figure I really outta pull a plug for a look see as I didn't have my FP gage hooked up yet and its risky as I added the CAI/75 and somethings gotta change...I pulled #1 and YOWZA...damn White like I never seen before...:eek:
the thing is super lean....Maybe my 8 month old stabilized gas was giving off the stank that I thought was a rich condition??

So naturally I hook my gage line up and put 6 lbs to it, 38 to 44...All my previous dyno's were spot on at 38 lbs...That was with the 93 Cobra I was running before..
So i figure I'll take it to work tomorrow (32 mi round trip) and do another read on the plugs....
Now i got the RPM Extender I was gonna throw in this weekend but I'm not really sure how the set-up the Kirban and extender dial for FP?? Are these 2 things gonna funk each other out???
Im still running 19s and maybe thats not a good idea with the 75 and this CAI/GT40 with a 1" spacer on it??? To much air and not enuf fuel??? I could easily swap the 65 back on but I kinda like this 75??
I put my IAT sensor about 6" back from the MAF as I always have..that wouldn't be throwing anything wacky into this?? Or maybe the old gas???
I added a Wazee tensioner pulley too...maybe that leaned it out???:D

Thanks for any thoughts...

95043.jpg

CAI is a straight shot.
95050.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your fuel pressure needs to be in the 40's now. I'm suprised your still getting away with those 19's. I didn't have luck with them after H/C/I. Crank it up a few psi and let us know what the plugs read.

I gotta throw in with Vibe on this one.

You ain't gotta enough fuel with that combo IMHO

Maybe ... if you jacked up the pressure a good bit .......
Its just that ... I really don't like that method.

I think its time for more suitable pump/injs

One more thing Andy

Over the years ... I remember seeing on more than one occasion on these various boards

Peeps going to the dyno and found af ratios that were way too lean

The part I can't remember is if they were using the
RPM Extender
or
ProM doo dad that would allow adjustment to the maf curve

Just a heads up for you :)

Grady

Thanks for the input guys...Looks like maybe I found the limit of the 19s...Im not really comfortable running to high a FP myself, I'm running a 190 pump though...I drove it today but havent taken a look/see yet..Just spent the night putting new shocks/struts in the wifes Pathfinder...Had a mofo time with seized bolts in the struts...:mad:

On the Extender, maybe I'll rethink that..I only got it because the price was great..I can always sell it no problem...Looks like I need to throw 24s in..I have em but that involves another MAF and I like my Pro77...More money...Damn....:(

I checked the plugs today after upping to 42....still light, maybe a tad better...I swapped the 65 back on tonite just to ease my mind some....

Its odd as my plugs have always been on the light side as they were set to what the AFR called out on 2 different dynos....12-13 range. I been running for 3 yrs like this with NGK V Power plugs...so I'm kinda confused as to my next step...I find it hard to believe this GT40 upper/CAI would lean me out like im seeing...adding the 75 was prolly risky and was a tad to much??? I wasn't really romping on it all that hard with the exceptions of a few 1/4 runs to feel it out...:D
If i was running outta fuel wouldn't I be getting bigtime detonation?? I get not a hint?? The thing flat out runs fine...

I dug up some Extender reading M. Plummer had in Corral and read that thru and im not sure if this thing can help me out by being able to fatten up the fuel on throttle tip in as this things o/rides the EEC when its game on time...

I need a swap for a 24 Pro 77 for my 19 set-up...that would be the balls at this point...Cars not gonna be out for long so I dont really wanna go buying up stuff...

I rechecked my plugs again today after swapping the 65 back on and no change..still way to White on the plugs..I checked em with a 10x glass to see if I had any metal deposits and seen nothing, thing must be running way hot thats for sure...I'm gonna send the MAF back to PMAS this week for a re-cal to 24s, looks like the cheapest way around this..

Thanks again Gents...

I got my UPS notice yesterday from PMAS that my MAF is on the road so hopefully that'll get here tomorrow..so I swapped the 24s tonite and put it all back together..I left the 65 in place as its all set-up...

Gonna swap in some fresh plugs and set the timing back to base as I'm gonna throw that extender in to...I was at 13 for the sweet spot per my previous dyno's but with this extender I wanna be conservative til I see what gives..I'm thinking FP at 39 with the 24s and hopefully no EEC gremlins from swapping the 24s in??? I figure a plug chop or 2 to see how things look then head to the dyno for a look/see...They get 100.00 an hour for tune time and I should be able to get it squared away within an hour easy...
Gonna bring the Accu 75 with me and swap in on for chits and grins and see what it says yay or nay..
Was running my stock muffs to get an inspection sticker so those will be swapped out for the Spintechs dumped and we'll see what gives...
My last dyno I gained 12hp and lost 10 lbs TQ with the 93 Cobra set-up...Curious as to what this GT40 & 1" spacer with a straighter CAI is gonna give or take..

Well I got all the goodies installed...24s and the MAF worked out fine...Went right in no hiccups...set the FP the 39.5 and the plugs looked fine...back to a light Tan...:nice:
I gave it a day or 2 of driving then thru the extender in last night...That was a trip...working in that small area sucked..:D I touched bases with Mike Plummer on some input on setting up the extender...He passed on some info regarding grounding the extender..This was an update from Sam Guido. Seems some peeps were having issues with high RPM breaking up/missing...It was traced to the fact the extender can tax the ignition system, especially if your running an upgraded ignition. Since I run the PD ignition I did the upgrade...It involves cutting pin 40 & 60 wire at the plug (which are EEC/Extender grounds) and tie them into pin 16 which is the ignition ground...THEN...run a 10ga wire back to the battery and solder it all up...A beefy ground for sure...
Anyway it snapped right to life and alls good with that...I set my AFR on the box to 11.5 and with my Kirban at 39.5 all looks sweet after romping on it some..Left my timing at 13 instead of going back to base...This would put me higher than any timing I have run, with the extenders boost, but i hear no detonation and its pulling hard so that appears ok...I can't say I noticed a huge dif in adding it but it feels nice and strong, pulls good with no glitches. I did read some people have a sorta skip when it kicks in around 2500, thats when it takes control of the EEC and starts running its tune..Nice and linear power for sure so I'm liking that
Gonna set-up and hrs time next week and play with it some...We'll see what gives..

95Vert said:
Very nice. I hope that when I build my motor, everything is as easy as that to fix.

I hear that..Knock on wood but I never had any issues with all the mods I did over the years...Your hear alot of chit about our EECs and such, I for one disagree...mines always adapted just fine...I just did the MAF/24 and the thing never missed a beat...Nevermind the Extender being thrown in there...I love it..

Glad to hear it Andy. And that's awesome that you got ahold of Plummer for info - I think he himself's been lookin for Guido and hasn't had any luck.

Enjoy!

RIO5.0 said:
Dan...You got any numbers on yours?? Were damn close mod wise...Minus the auto..

SVT...It was cheap money to make...:nice: Just 3.5" exh tubing...

no numbers yet. i want to get it on the dyno soon before the snow falls.

i'll probably book an appointment the same time as my brother to see if we can get a deal.

what do you normally use when tunning on the dyno RIO? initial timing and fuel pressure. thats it right? your currently running a stock computer tune? besides the extender

i have a kirban regulator to install still plus i have a pretty bad exhaust leak on the header to mid pipe. i dont want to buy a new one till after winter.