another GO FAST project.....Round 2!!!

my goal with the truck is to break into the 11's and still have AC and decent street manners

I hate to burst your bubble here, but 11's in a lowered 2WD ranger, with what's basically a warmed over 302 is never going to happen. Even with a 150 shot you're still going to come up waaaaay short. Running low-13's/ high-12's might be more realistic and even then it’s going to be a stretch!

Hell, the 2004 SVT Lightning Bolt concept only ran mid-13's and it had an Eaton blown 5.4L Lightning Engine under the hood and a worked exhaust system (est 400hp/460tq). Not to mention widened 18x12.5 wheels out back wrapped in massive 345/35ZR18's!!!

It doesn't seem to matter how much power you're throwing at them....these Rangers suffer from poor power : weight distribution. And dropping it with a set of stiff lowering springs and running 18" Saleen wheels isn't going to help traction any.

To be completely honest, you'd probably get closer to your 1/4 mile goal sticking with the 4X4. At least then you'd be able to solve that massive traction issue you're probably going to have.

• Sponsors (?)

I hate to burst your bubble here, but 11's in a lowered 2WD ranger, with what's basically a warmed over 302 is never going to happen. Even with a 150 shot you're still going to come up waaaaay short. Running low-13's/ high-12's might be more realistic and even then it’s going to be a stretch!

Hell, the 2004 SVT Lightning Bolt concept only ran mid-13's and it had an Eaton blown 5.4L Lightning Engine under the hood and a worked exhaust system (est 400hp/460tq). Not to mention widened 18x12.5 wheels out back wrapped in massive 345/35ZR18's!!!

It doesn't seem to matter how much power you're throwing at them....these Rangers suffer from poor power : weight distribution. And dropping it with a set of stiff lowering springs and running 18" Saleen wheels isn't going to help traction any.

To be completely honest, you'd probably get closer to your 1/4 mile goal sticking with the 4X4. At least then you'd be able to solve that massive traction issue you're probably going to have.

i'll take that as a challenge!!:D

if it doesnt run great at the track at least it will be fun. i will not be able to run the AC as i planned but i can live with that.

Oh, it'll be fun alright. When I was in my late -eens, early-20's my dad and I built and owned three carb'd 5.0L Rangers (1 2WD & 2 4WD) a 5.8L powered Ranger 4X4 and a Bronco II with a late model 5.0L EFI. All were great for burning the tires and impressing the masses. Hooking up is a real bitch with all that weight over the nose and none in the rear. :D

A buddy of mine had a mid 90's 2wd Splash with a 302 swap (intake, nice carb, exhaust) mated to an AOD and a spooled 8.8 with 4.10's. It was lowered and had polished 16" 99-04 V6 premium wheels on it.

It was a bad ass little truck and would smoke the tires all day long. Unfortunately, some ******* kid rear ended him, totaled it, and nearly killed my buddy in the process.

Oh, it'll be fun alright. When I was in my late -eens, early-20's my dad and I built and owned three carb'd 5.0L Rangers (1 2WD & 2 4WD) a 5.8L powered Ranger 4X4 and a Bronco II with a late model 5.0L EFI. All were great for burning the tires and impressing the masses. Hooking up is a real bitch with all that weight over the nose and none in the rear. :D

Been there :nice: We did a 351W in a 89 Bronco II when I was in high school, and it wasn't good for much other than burning out in a straight line. Even being lowered, it was TERRIFYING to do donuts in.

broncotest.jpg

I was shocked to see the 1350 transfer case didn't outlast the 7.5" rear end being behind that power.

SallenGT2001, why no AC? I've seen it done before in the swaps, and the only modification you should have had to do was notch the corner of the heater core box out where the passenger head would interfere.

what front acc drive was used that let you keep the a/c?

i'm using a 95 stang acc drive on mine

We used a ton of stuff from a 96 Explorer 5.0. It was very convenient in the sense that we lifted almost everything necessary to get the engine 'into' the truck from the Explorer, mounts and all. Accessory drive, oil filter and all, it fell right in pretty much. If you didn't want to hack up your heater box on the firewall, a 2 or 3 inch body lift would let the valve cover clear it, but I'm sure you've got the other direction in mind when it comes to body height :nice:

Build is getting interesting :nice: I appreciate the link and will soon be piecing a wet kit together for the s197. I'll likely use a small shot on the 98 as well once that build is finished.

Keep us updated with pictures/info :nice: