Autozone IAC.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont remember if there was one there either.
ran to the parts store and got one anyways.
i put it on when i got back home.i've yet to go anywhere though.
we'll see how it goes on my way to work in the morning.

:mad:
o.k. car drove fine on my way to work at noon.
i left at 8pm and stopped at the taco bell about two miles away.
sitting at the window the car died.
there was no surging idle before it died,it's like a switch was flipped and it turned off.there was no indication it was about to happen.
there are no starting problems,it will start right back up when i turn the key.

checked for codes as soon as i got home.
guess what i got.
code 158.

maf is clean,done it yesterday.

is my MAF toast?:shrug:

So you keep getting MAF codes (though the latter time you didnt regenerate a 157)?

I have the feeling it's an intermittant issue, and when you test it, it's fine. I dont think a new MAF is necessarily the fix. What I would do is find a used one (10 to 15 bucks a lot of the time) and try it out, after you go through your wiring harness. For that, I'd do all of the previous tests while wiggling your wiring harness to see if you can make the car stall out. If you can, keep doing it while using your meter to see which portion of the circuit is dropping out. It's almost like the signal portion of the circuit (in the wiring or meter) are shorting to VREF or opening, perhaps both..... (since it's both, based on codes, that suggests the meter but I dont like to recommend tossing expensive parts at fixes).

You dont have a means of viewing PIDs do you?

So you keep getting MAF codes (though the latter time you didnt regenerate a 157)?

I have the feeling it's an intermittant issue, and when you test it, it's fine. I dont think a new MAF is necessarily the fix. What I would do is find a used one (10 to 15 bucks a lot of the time) and try it out, after you go through your wiring harness. For that, I'd do all of the previous tests while wiggling your wiring harness to see if you can make the car stall out. If you can, keep doing it while using your meter to see which portion of the circuit is dropping out. It's almost like the signal portion of the circuit (in the wiring or meter) are shorting to VREF or opening, perhaps both..... (since it's both, based on codes, that suggests the meter but I dont like to recommend tossing expensive parts at fixes).

You dont have a means of viewing PIDs do you?

No way to view PIDs.

No 157.only 158 last night.

i'll pick up a used maf tomorrow,and perform the wiggle test.im not feeling too hot today.

thanks hissin50.

Posted via Mobile Device

on my way home from work today,the car wanted to stall out while driving.
also the idle was a little higher than normal.
at a stop light,i can feel it about to stall.i can keep it running by giving it more gas.

the check engine light would light up at that time,than turn off.

got home and ran the codes.
this time i got a 157,along with the 158.

started the car and performed the wiggle test.
i could NOT get the car to stall.

:shrug:

finally got it running right.

for the surging idle,i ordered the Motorcraft IAC from rockauto.com.
$145 with next day shipping:eek:
bad thing is,the Fedex guy did not even bother to come to the door,left no notice and said that it was unsafe to leave the package at the door:nonono:
all he had to do was knock,my dad was home all day waiting for the package while i was at work:mad:
i picked it up at fedex the next day because i did not get off of work til 8pm friday night.i also filed a complaint against the driver and notified the service department at rockauto.com,so hopefully i'll get some of my shipping back.

after testing the MAF and checking all the wiring,i determined it was bad.after looking at all the junkyards in the area,i could not find one used.
i was forced to get a reman from Kragen:(
$89,we'll see how long it lasts.

after resetting the idle with all parts installed,idles solid at 700RPM.
drove around town christmas shopping saturday evening,drove fine,no stalling or surging.

this morning after going to 7/11 for the paper and coffee,ran the codes,came up fine:)
along with a cylinder balance test,fine as well:)

it feels good to drive the stang after three days of being dropped off at work and getting picked up.

the only thing that sucks about this is i was looking at a set of black leather seats out of a 02 gt in perfect condition.but now i dont have the cash to get them:(.

at least the stangs running right again:rolleyes: