Back from the dyno

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
A local shop got a new dyno and gave away 10 runs. They signed me up as number 11 and said if there was time I could run.

The dyno was an AWD mustang dyno. They ran 3 pulls with my 2.3 mustang. On the turbo only, I put down 266rwhp, that combination was good for 12.9s at 106. The last run, I asked them to run the 45 shot. Power jumped to 306rwhp on the nitrous, which was a 12.26@111 on the track. Oh, the car is full weight, probably 3100lbs with me.

If you are thinking the power numbers are low, they definately are. The car has a C4 with a terrible converter, which probably sucks 20hp more than a T5. The shop also insisted on running the car in 2nd gear. :rolleyes: Because of that, the dyno pulls were way to short, as the engine just blew through the rpms. The run on the 45 shot was only 3 seconds, including spoolup! Therefore, the torque curves look completely wrong. :nonono: I wish I had torque numbers, because the car has so much more torque than horsepower. The mid-range torque even puts the lightly modded 03 cobra I drove to shame. :nice:

Anyway, it was interesting. You can't complain about free, but I'll find someone else if I ever want to pay for a dyno. ;)

• Sponsors (?)