car turned off turing rushour

88mustangGT

Apr 6, 2003
i was driving home from a junkyard in rushour, and my car turned off when i came to a stop on the freeway. it wouldnt start back up . it isnt geting any spark, i tryed another coil and still nothing. what should i do? what can i test. thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I'd check your TFI module, those will fail when they get hot, and if your just sitting waiting in rush hour then that could do it. I hear you can test it by starting your engine and taking a heat gun (or hot hair dryer) and blowing on it and seeing if your car dies. Have to be careful though that you don't melt away your TFI though :)

Hope it helps
-Bart

TwoToneTerror said:
Yep, I'd check your TFI module, those will fail when they get hot, and if your just sitting waiting in rush hour then that could do it. I hear you can test it by starting your engine and taking a heat gun (or hot hair dryer) and blowing on it and seeing if your car dies. Have to be careful though that you don't melt away your TFI though :)

Hope it helps
-Bart
i think i would rather test it from the other end of the spectrum - when the car craps out, get a bag of ice, frozen peas, or sports medicine chemical freeze, and put that on the module.....just cause i dont have the guts to heat something like that up.

well it started and ive been driving i drove it about 3 days and then last night it died again, my car was runing almost half temp. i dont know why but sometiems it runs hoter at night then it does when its 100 out. well it died and then it started up about10 min later and i got home. i was thinking should i just buy a new distributor like a msd or accel

The TFI is cheaper than a new dizzy. It would not be a bad Idea to check your alt/bat. It sounds like you may have access to a volt meter, so give it a whirl. Pep boys carries borg warner ignition parts if you ask for them.

how would i go about checking my alt and battery? i was just thinking if i replace the distrib i might get a lil more power out of her at the same time? a friend said the tfi is like 50-60 bucks and then you need a special tool to put it on.

Tool is about $5 tops all it is, is a 5mm socket if I remember correctly. It sure sounds like the TFI module. Mine died out two weeks ago. Simple to change and not much money. tool and module for me altogether was $64 Canadian and since our dollor sucks compared tp the US market, you would be looking at roughly $50 for both.

the tool is a 5.5mm and you probably have to use a deep socket. summit has a holley anihalator(sp) tfi but i cant seem to find it on their website, anyway it is supposed to withsatnd heat more than a regular tfi.they should be able to get you it if you call them. the tfi when hot, expands and connections within are lost, after it cools and retracts, the connections are made again and you can drive (usually) your symptoms seem to me like its a tfi module. thick film ignition is what it stands for i think.