Changed the spark plugs...WOW!!!!

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Well i bought this 02 GT last year at a ford dealership with 42k for 16k well i thought it was smooth, today i changed the plugs and noticed that they were autolite platinums so obviously someone had changed them before, then i pull the last one out and there is oil all over it after the threads so i think it's been fouled up the whole time, wel i started it up and WOW, it's so silky smooth now that i cant even believe it:D

• Sponsors (?)

I have 2 boxes of brand new 764's in my tool box. But i'm a little scared to put them in 'cause of how much shorter the threads are then the motorcraft platinums which are already in engine.

Same story here!

I purchased a set, took a look at the thread length and brought them back.

I changed my plugs at 26k for the copper version of the stock platinum Motorcraft plugs for a 2003.
FWIW the factory plugs looked brand new so when the coppers where out, they are going back in.

For those that are curious, I changed the plugs because I am not the original owner (purcahsed at 16k miles) and I wanted to see how the motor was running. Since I had them out already I tossed in the copper to see if any difference.
None.

Ford changed the thread length at some point in production but it looks like Autolite didnt', at least on the plugs I bought.

Wonder if NGK are the same short threads?
Anyone know?

Ok, here's a loaded question.

I've never changed my plugs since bought new 8/02.

2003 at 74,000 miles. Never been hard on her (even from a dead stop). 90%+ highway miles.

If the car is running fine, tell me why I should change them?
(I'm willing to, but just feel if it ain't broke...).

2003 at 74,000 miles. Never been hard on her (even from a dead stop). 90%+ highway miles.

Based on what you said, you probably don't need to. The factory platinum plugs are not due to be replaced until 100k miles. But one way to think about it is, your plugs are 3/4 used up, and you might notice an improvement after replacing them.
:flag:

Yeah i kow i paid alot...when i needed the car there was some sort of shortage of mustang GT's in california LOL well i got the car i wanted in the color i wanted in perfect condition so he price was the last thing i was looking at.

Same thing happened to me I bought an 01GT with 20k miles for 18k. There was nothing cheaper available in my area and I needed a car bad so I bit the bullet. I am happy with my purchase.

My plugs looked like crap when I pulled them. I beleive they were origional. They were plats, and looked old. Gap was opened up and they were lean looking.

Didnt notice too much of a difference with new plugs, cause my COP's were on their way out anyway, and still are. Damn them.

Spoke with my mechanic today who I trust completely.

He said 100,000 miles since I baby the car.