CHECK OIL?? the meaning

Wil

Jan 2, 2003
Burke, VA
Well for some odd reason my car's check oil like goes off and on days at a time. I just changed the oil about 2 weeks ago so I know it isn't the oil. Does this light mean anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

I think it means that you are a quart low when it goes off. If it were low oil pressure I think the check engine light would go off or something, or maybe there isn't even a warning. Maybe it is a loose connection. The sensor is on the side of the oil pan, check to see if it is all gunked up with crud or something.

I have had the low oil light go on in my 89 once or twice. But it actually was low on oil. My 96 GT used to do that all the time. All I had to do was add a little oil and it would stop. The sensor was extremely sensitive though. If you parked on a hill and the front of the car was was it would come on. Then if you shut the car off and turn it back on, the light would go off.

Well to be on the safe side check the oil level on the dipstick. It usually has a yellow handle and runs to the oil pan. I get that pesky oil light once a week. Usually what it means is that its a quart low on oil. I add a quart of oil and "bingo," takes care of the pesky light. My rear seal is shot and I'll replace it once I swap my f#ucked up T5. Just because you changed the oil doenst mean that its topped off. You might have added 4 instead of 5 or not enough.

Wil said:
how do I get the sensor out to check, I know my oil can't be low cause i've only driven hte car about 500-750 miles ago

Have you checked the oil? Maybe there is a leak or are consuming it. It's easier than crawling under the car. The area where is sensor is always has build up. It is located on the side of the pan. To remove it, drain 2 quarts of oil and disconnect the electric connection. Then get a 26mm wrench and remove it.

I wont say all, but many of the fox's dipsticks are off including mine. Check it after you change the filter and add five qts. but after you have run the engine and let it drain down for 20 min. or so. Mine reads at the "f" in full, instead of at the top of the safe range like you would think. Its 1 qt low when its at the top of the safe range. Thats not normal for most cars, but it seems to be for the 5.0 stang.

jerry beach said:
I wont say all, but many of the fox's dipsticks are off including mine. Check it after you change the filter and add five qts. but after you have run the engine and let it drain down for 20 min. or so. Mine reads at the "f" in full, instead of at the top of the safe range like you would think. Its 1 qt low when its at the top of the safe range. Thats not normal for most cars, but it seems to be for the 5.0 stang.

I second that. One time I changed my oil when the oil level was in the middle of the safe range. Maybe 3 and a half quarts came out.

i 20th Jerry. mine is holding 4.25 quarts when it reads at the top of the 'full' hatch marks. 5 quarts puts it quite high.