Clutch Adjustment

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
OK, although I know this is about my '68, I know I'm more likely to get the right answer here. I recently drove my '68 for the first time since swapping in a T5 from an '89 GT. It works great and makes the car much more fun to drive. But after less than 20 miles there was a slight noise coming from the bell housing that sounds like a throwout bearing, and it goes away when I put a little pressure on the pedal. So I jacked the car up and looked inside the bell housing as best as I could and saw nothing wrong, no metal chips around the pressure plate, no discoloration on the bearing, no shiny spots on the bearing retainer, everything looked fine. I even had my son start it to see if I could detect a noise while I was under it, but of course, it wouldn't make noise then and the exhaust heat prevented me from running it more than a minute or so. But here's my question, I'm using a hydraulic clutch (master/slave cylinder) and I can't adjust it to have any freeplay and still get it in reverse with the engine running. I figured this is ok since I've read from several sources that due to the Foxes having a cable clutch they are designed to have slight pre-load anyway. Is this true? Am I supposed to have clearance like older bell-crank setups? I know it's not a high-quality bearing, would switching to a Ford-supplied unit fix the problem? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jim

• Sponsors (?)

The noise that you get from non Ford throwout bearings is a common problem.

The 5 speed fox body cars do indeed have a throwout bearing that is designed for a 4-15 lb. preload on it. The cable operated system needs the preload to keep the cable from coming off or disconnecting from the quadrant.