CNBC Reports 05 Under 20000 w/ 300HP

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think Ford would want to hurt v6 sells with a cheap v8 near it's price point. Why? CAFE gas ratings would take a hit on it's fleet of cars and all the V8 stangs could incure a $1000 gas gusslers tax. Just another part of the equation.

mp67 said:
I doubt if the engine is just a thousand. Its not just two extra cylinders. The block is aluminum on the GT, the heads are three valves per cylinder, its got that variable camshaft timing and charge motion control valve(whatever that is), plus radiator and cooling system would cost a bit more, and I'm sure computer and electronics is quite a bit more. You can't work up from the V6 platform cause base to base is not the same now. You have to work up from the sub 20k GT base, cause thats where the controversy is. Even a stripped down GT is going to cost more than a fully optioned V6.

Back in the early days of the 5.0 LX, the V8 package was $1500. For that you got the engine, 5-speed manual, bigger brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension. I paid $11,990 for my brand new 1988 LX hatchback. List was $12,900.

Kyle-02GT said:
CNBC report from Chicago Auto Show: 10:50AM EST

"Ford Mustang will be offered at a budget for consumers for under $20,000 including the 300HP brawn of all the others."

Just to spur rumors debate. I at least thought it was interesting :flag:

If that is the case, I will be in line at the dealership waiting to get one.

Hax

Ok, quick recap:

Ford said so.
Ford either goofed or you misinterpreted.

It's possible.
It's not possible.

They did it before with the LX package.
It's not 1987 anymore, get over it.

It makes perfect business sense.
It makes no business sense.

It's gonna happen and I'm gonna be first in line to get one.
I'll get one, too, if they do it, but it ain't gonna happen.

How much different is the 4.2 v6 F150 engine from the 4.0 engine in the new mustang?

To upgrade from a 4.2 v6 in a F150 to a 4.6 SOCH 2v is $638. Now I know the new 3v engine is more complex, but how much more complex is it? At the most $1000 (I believe that would be a liberal estimate). So, if the new stang starts at around 18k, add the 1600 and it is totally possible that you have a 20k Mustang with a V8.

There are a lot of differences between a GT and v6, including suspension, brakes, interior, and body modifications. The engine is not the only thing that makes the GT $5000 more.

Nicks99GT said:
How much different is the 4.2 v6 F150 engine from the 4.0 engine in the new mustang?

To upgrade from a 4.2 v6 in a F150 to a 4.6 SOCH 2v is $638. Now I know the new 3v engine is more complex, but how much more complex is it? At the most $1000 (I believe that would be a liberal estimate). So, if the new stang starts at around 18k, add the 1600 and it is totally possible that you have a 20k Mustang with a V8.

There are a lot of differences between a GT and v6, including suspension, brakes, interior, and body modifications. The engine is not the only thing that makes the GT $5000 more.

Those suspension and brake mods are a requirement for a 300 hp car in my opinion.

shatner saves said:
Those suspension and brake mods are a requirement for a 300 hp car in my opinion.

Whats the difference between a the current GT's and the V6 suspension? Maybe different springs and and sway bars? It's not like Ford hasn't done this before, all of the Fox bodied LX models were like this.

While I'll agree with you on the brakes, I'm sure that both the GT and V6 will be better on the '05 than the current model.

I'm skeptical on the the stripper V8, but J. Mays did say that thier would be a V8 model for 20k, articles have been running with it and Ford hasn't retracted it.

Anyways it would be sweet to have a V8 mustang that would be as cheap as an SRT-4 and blow morst cars under 30k away.