CobraRed's Build thread - updated periodically

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
Picked up some 2001 PI heads n' cams today from a guy who bought them to put in his 96 but ended up buying a mach 1. Was a local purchase so no shipping, and i pretty much stole em away for the price he charged. Rather low millage on em too. (these turned out to have too much problems, bought a re-machined new set from Allied Motor Parts - 1 year warranty).
Plans:

- Got a PI intake coming in the mail $90 shipped. (this fell through, intake damaged. Bought a new one)
- Soon to order FRPP head changing kit. Still need to order additional parts like valve cover gaskets (do i have to replace timing chain cover gaskets?) (Done)
- Take cams off head and and sell the PI cams.
- Wait on Hotmustang's :)hail2:) VT stage I cams to be sent to me after he takes em out and i pay him.
- Order SCT II flasher tuned by MPH for one smog legal tune and a more aggressive tune. 10.3:1 compression:eek: (done, thanks MPH!)
- Find a place to hot tank heads + cams and make sure valves are in good order. (Total performance already did, and found problems with heads)
- Pay a friend/auto tech a lil dough and lots of beer to help me install all of these parts at my place.
- Dyno pull at DPR of San Diego, then adjust a/f ratio via my SCT accordingly
- New numbers
- Some 15" rims and some slicks later on
- Hopefully my stall converter and traction will get me to some 12.9's at Infineon when they open Wednesday night drags again.

Pics of (old) heads+cams. (second pic's pink areas are just a reflection):

Picture036-2.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture3611116.jpg

Picture043-3.jpg

Attachments

• Picture036-2.jpg
    Picture036-2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Picture038.jpg
    Picture038.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Picture3611116.jpg
    Picture3611116.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Picture043-3.jpg
    Picture043-3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Sponsors (?)

Good find chris....Its gonna wake that car up tremendously.....Already started the work too.....u move fast....Good luck

Yeah once i get my mind set on doing something i don't sit idly; but i dont just buy what i see first. I spent a good 2-3 weeks looking for low cost parts and figuring out how im going to put em on and tune em. By waiting and figuring out a plan and getting lucky on deals (hotmustang331 helped a lot on deals and info) i'm saving about $1225 or $1400 if you include buying used cams over new(no joke)

12.9 is moving with an NA gt

yeah but it's optimistic too, if i get to 12.99 n/a im not going to install a 100 wet. But if i can't im definitely considering it due to No2 loving compression. I've had a good amount a practice getting my mostly NPI gt going as fast as she can - and the biggest problem has been traction although my 60's have been pretty good. Im hoping slicks + the consistancey of my tranny coupled w/ a cool night at the low altitude Infineon will get me there

you should do mild port work/gasket match and upgrade your springs before install(even if your cam selection doesn't require them)http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te..._stock_two_valve_cylinder_heads/photo_01.html

dont have many of the tools or experience for that even though i have the time now with school being shut down for a week due to fires. And im keeping this a limited budget operation so i can justify doing it to myself, even tho i have the funds for a 2.6kb swap i'm in college and don't want to be too irresponsible. So non-required springs aren't on the books even tho it'll help.

i called Total performance about hot tanking my Heads and intake manifold. And the guy there recommended taking of the lifter/rocker arm w/ bearings off cuz you dont want water in those very long. Then he'd wash those w/ solvent separate. Is this not fun to do? I mean it looks simple to take them off once the tower/cam is off, but who about re-installation? Hard? The springs will stay stationary on head once i take off the rocker arms correct?

Update: Don at MPH said Tim's finishing up the tune tmw and should be sending it out tmw as well. The intake manifold i bought should be here tmw (guy stalled for 2 weeks sending it). So i still haven't hot tanked my parts. Cams have been off the head for a week, thought i sold em - guy was supposed to send me a paypal, but never got back to me - proly found a better deal. Also my GF who lives in long beach finally figured out what was under the towel, cat's outta the bag:rlaugh:
Runnin.jpg

all ready to go:(
Picture3611139.jpg

Attachments

• Runnin.jpg
    Runnin.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture3611139.jpg
    Picture3611139.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 67