Crankcase ventilation

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
So right now I have open breathers, one in each valve cover. I'm getting tired of the oil dripping on my headers, and also it's a pain to remove the breather every time I put oil in the engine. I was looking for an oil fill tube, but I'm not sure what will work with my valve covers...Any suggestions? They're the Ford Racing tall vc.

On the crankcase ventilation I'm looking at two options, PCV or oil catch can with a breather on it. I don't have a PCV valve on my intake so it will have to go in the valve cover. Which option should I go with? Will I need to vent both vc's, or just one? There's also a possibility I will be adding boost in the future, I know that can cause problems with PCV systems...

• Sponsors (?)

Doesn't everyone who are running supercharger or turbo just run catch can with breather from valve covers?

Add 2 bungs on valve covers and run a catch can and you are done. no?

For now you want a PCV valve in one cover and some sort of vent in the other. There are a bunch of different ways to do it with boost. There was a big discussion on Corral not long ago on the topic.

PCV configuration and Intake manifold gaskets for boost? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Kurt

After reading that it looks like a vented catch can with no PCV is the way to go with boost. Until then, I can use a PCV valve in the valve cover.

What about the oil fill tube? Trick flow makes one but I'm. Not sure if it will work with the Ford Racing valve covers... or really all I need is an easily removable cap...

I'm sure the Trick Flow oil fill will work. That's what I have with the Trick Flow valve covers. It just fits into a standard PCV grommet. I have it setup with a standard cap on top. There is a nipple that screws into the side of the fill tube. On that nipple I have a rubber hose that goes to a breather hidden in the fender.

I still maintain that it is worth the effort to put a PCV valve that operates when the car is not under boost. Blow by gases corrode your engine if they aren't sucked out. You can also get a vacuum pump to to this.

Kurt

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400800 - Trick Flow® Billet Oil Fill Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
That's the TF oil fill I'm looking at.

Did some more research on the PCV w/boost. How about this setup: Turbo Coupe PCV in the passenger side VC going to an oil separator then to intake vacuum source. Or I could put a check valve between the PCV and intake... On the driver side VC from the oil fill tube run a hose to a breather or to the intake tubing pre-sc/tc. I think that will allow me to run PCV and boost without pressurizing the crankcase too much.