Disappointed with my track times with respect to mods

H What 4.6

Jul 29, 2005
My latest outings at the track have been extremely disappointing and I cant figure it out. Last year I ran a 14.972 @ 92.32 with a 2.274 60'. That was with mac pro-chamber, cat-back, shifter, and mac intake.

Since then i have done 3.73s (from 2.73s) - PI cams/intake - Accufab 75mm t/b - P&P c&L plenum - and a 93 octane tune resulting in a best run of:

14.725 @ 95.06mph with a 2.257 60' ....

This was at the same track and I know its not my driving .... its the same as before ... better 60' chirping 2nd and 3rd ......

The only thing i can think of is that the tune is no good - It was done by American Muscle ....

I believe between the gear swap and PI cams/intake i should have picked up alot more......

What do you guys think? I know the PI cams are correct and didnt jump a tooth or anything during install... new plugs were put in then too.....

Theoretically im very disappointed with this... what do you guys think it could be?
Are the tunes from AM usually reliable? Should i try data logging my A/F ratio? I thought i would be low 14s easy... esp going from 2.73s to 3.73s :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

wind the car out, you gained 3mph so the car is making more power.

I dont know where you live, but the heat humidity also play a role.

Get a set of drag radials, some good air, learn to drive the car, and shift at 5800-6000k, and Ill bet your will run well.

Also, there is no need to tune a car with pi cams/intake, especially if its not dyno tuned with a wideband. My PI headswap car trapped 103-105 in street trim. My 97 trapped 78-79 in the 1/8 with stock NPI heads/cams.

I live in NJ... track elevation 851 ft. and temp was similar for runs last year to this year 70 degrees ish.... but im not sure about humidity

I know i did not need to tune it but i figured 93 octane tune would help..... why not....

I know i could prob get a little better of a time but i got the 14.9 in 5 runs and in 9 runs over two weekends best i got was 14.7 ..... i just really really thought i would be able to do much better..... :(

im in the same boat best run of 14.2@99mph and had a few mods and with same weather at 3000 elevation i ran a couple runs at 14.4@103mph, how do i go faster but worst times? reactions times almost all at .15

I live in NJ... track elevation 851 ft. and temp was similar for runs last year to this year 70 degrees ish.... but im not sure about humidity

I know i did not need to tune it but i figured 93 octane tune would help..... why not....

I know i could prob get a little better of a time but i got the 14.9 in 5 runs and in 9 runs over two weekends best i got was 14.7 ..... i just really really thought i would be able to do much better..... :(

you gained 3mph, I'd expect 3-4mph from the PI cam/intake swap. Your car is proboly running fine. Where do you shift? You need to get that 60ft to a 2.0 or better to really get a good comparison. Get a set of drag radials and then you can really pinpoint what is going on. Inconsistant, or high 60fts make it difficult to see results.