Engine vibration

SSStang

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2000
Honolulu Hi
A chain of events recently happened. It started friday when I heard a loud taping noise coming from my engine while driving I pulled over and popped the hood. It sounded like a rocker arm taping. I shut the car off and then decided to drive it home. Then it would not start again. I have had this car for 6 years as my daily dirver and now I have to call a tow truck. I get it home pull the valve covers off and everything is fine besides I need some new sparkplug wires because one fell apart in my hand. After putting the covers back on. I go to start the car and notice that I cant hear the fuel pump kick on. Ends up the fuel is not working. I replace the fuel pump the plug wires and the cap and rotor.
That brings me to a new problem. The engine has a bad vibration from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm. Then it goes away. It does it when driving and when it is siting in the driveway. I pulled the plugs when I changed the wires and they all look good. I dont know what to check or look for?

Any help will help
Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

The power balance test is the cylinder balance test. Basically, it's a test that cuts off individual injectors, and watches for a drop in RPM, indicating a problem with that particular cylinder. Take a look at your harmonic balancer if you're still running the stock one. Chances are the rubber is dried out and cracked, so the outer ring spun, and now it's off balance. It's common that they go bad, especially on daily drivers, since it's exposed to the elements more frequently. A new balancer can be had pretty cheaply. I think the SFI Pro. Products one goes in the $100 range.

StangGT1995 said:
The power balance test is the cylinder balance test. Basically, it's a test that cuts off individual injectors, and watches for a drop in RPM, indicating a problem with that particular cylinder. Take a look at your harmonic balancer if you're still running the stock one. Chances are the rubber is dried out and cracked, so the outer ring spun, and now it's off balance. It's common that they go bad, especially on daily drivers, since it's exposed to the elements more frequently. A new balancer can be had pretty cheaply. I think the SFI Pro. Products one goes in the $100 range.
you take the injector or plug wire off one by one and the one that does not change the idle much at all, that is the problem.

Well it is the Harmonic Balancer. Now what to buy I need the car it is my daily dirver. I guess I can just one from Pepboys or Autozone. Who sells SFI Pro? I hope nothing else got messed up from driving for a little while after the vibrations started.

Thank you for the help

dastang2 said:
you take the injector or plug wire off one by one and the one that does not change the idle much at all, that is the problem.
I am confused, but Matt was talking specifically about the CBT, which is part of the self-diagnostics. The computer is what will kill the injectors individually, noting any RPM drop. It can repeat the test a couple times using different criteria, to see how bad an issue is.

Pulling a plug wire (I would not be pulling injector connectors) is old school and can be effective, but it is not a CBT.