flywheel resurfacing.

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
Sorry to bring this back up, but I just had mine resurfaced and I just now realized I didn't get a spacer for between the crank and the flywheel as I have before. I just plain forgot about it, and the last place that did it for me provided one with the resurfacing. Did you gusy go without it, or did you all put one in. If no-one else is running it, I'm going to forget about it. Please let me know ASAP.

I'm going to get my flywheel resurfaced tomorrow or replaced...I didn't know there was a spacer on the flywheel...and I have it laying right beside me right now... :shrug:

The spacer is something you buy AFTER you have had it resurfaced. What it does is move the flywheel and therefore the pressure plate back towards the T-out bearing to ensure that you get proper disengagement of the clutch. Basically without it, you could theoretically end up with less air gap if you don't have enough travel of the clutch fork... BUT then again we're only talking a few thousandths here too, so I don't know if its a must have or not...

Killercanary said:
The spacer is something you buy AFTER you have had it resurfaced. What it does is move the flywheel and therefore the pressure plate back towards the T-out bearing to ensure that you get proper disengagement of the clutch. Basically without it, you could theoretically end up with less air gap if you don't have enough travel of the clutch fork... BUT then again we're only talking a few thousandths here too, so I don't know if its a must have or not...

I'm going to make a seperate thread about it on the corral...(general tech)...I was thinking about that the other day...wondering if the "thousandths" would be enough to mess something up...so the machine shop should provide one...? Would a parts store have spacers?

Edit: Or could you use a firewall adjuster to make up for that "gap"...that is what I have...wonder if that would work?

Paul, for what it's worth I have never ran those spacers and never had any type of issue, 2 resurfaces on the same flywheel when I had my SPEC stage 3.

Did you get my PM? My phione was on my dresser and I didn't hear it last night, sorry about that.

HISSIN50 said:
sorry to be :OT: but it is related. once, a machine shop guy said that to do a resurface correctly, one needs to use a Blanchard grinder (something like that). does this sound right?- ive seldom (ok, never) heard of anyone having it done with one, but wondered if it was better (i dont know what a Blanchard grinder does).

this is the best and pretty much failsafe if the operator knows how to run the machine(blanchard). flywheel is set on a electromagnetic table that is parrallel to a series of grinding stones that are held above that spin quickly while the table in which the flywheel is being held to spins slowly. you can bring the stones down slowly with a handle on the side. and the best part of all is that while its being ground,its being DRENCHED with coolant. NO DISTORTIONS. :D

JETHRO, thanks for the tutorial - that is interesting about how it works.

what's the deal - all you guys from PA know this stuff. :)

thanks again. :nice: