fuel injection or carb

D's 91 stang gt

Jul 6, 2005
I'm about done the build of my 347 stroker but I'm to the point where I can't decide to keep my car fuel injected or put a carb on it. Currently the car is fuel injected and I've never had a car that was a carb but the money is getting tight and I want it done finally so I could save some money by just putting on a carb but I still not sure If I want to go that way. What do you guys suggest???

• Sponsors (?)

It is an opinion, and opinions are like noses. Everybody has one, and some people have two opinions. However, I have never met anyone with two noses...

Carbs are great for the track and make good power. For a strip only N/A car, they are hard to beat. Step on the pedal and flush - it's a gasoline toilet!

EFI RULES on the street for a car that is driven in all kinds of weather, up and down mountains and gets great gas mileage. EFI will make just as much power as a carb and be easier to drive on the street. If isn't hard to tune if you know what you are doing.

There isn't a carb made without computer assist that can do all those things as well as EFI can. The only possible exception would be the IDA or DCOE Webers which cost major $$$ - like $3000 for 4 each IDA 48's and a manifold.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst: ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo... educated thinking is often very difficult...

Carb: You take your new hotwheels 351 with a carb, fancy heads, hot cam, built C4, etc., etc. to the local tuner whiz. He’s a little peculiar, one of those hair on fire, can’t stand still kind of guys, but he gets results. He also gets $100 an hour plus $300 for dyno usage, so wasting his time isn’t healthy for your wallet. It’s 60 degrees and dry as dust as you pull into the dyno shop. The first pull is terrible, and he shakes his head and makes some insulting remarks about your hat size. Out come the tools and 15 minutes later he’s ready for another run. This one is better but flattens out near the top. He’s thinking a different power valve is the fix. More tool turning, another 15 minutes and he’s ready to go at it again. Next run looks really good on top end power, but the mid range torque is down and isn’t what he wants. Time to change more parts… Out comes the jet kit and he finds the proper size, along with another 15 minute slice of your wallet. Fire up the engine, re-adjust the idle and accelerator pump linkage and run it up. This one makes him smile – a little. He tells you that this isn’t the ultimate, but it is good. Pleasantries are exchanged, along with $400 of your money. Weeks pass and spring turns to summer, along with several trips to the track. The track results have been good, but the times seem to increase as the temperature rises. Today it’s 95 and so humid that everything has a layer of sweat. First run, power is down, the car seems to bog, the trap speed is down and the ET is up. You check the timing, tire pressure, fuel pressure, all OK. Second and third runs produce similar results. Another run and you do a clean cut at the last light. Coasting into the return lane, your pit crew buddy meets you with a plug wrench and some extra bodies to push the car out of the way. Plugs come out, inspection is done and you conclude that the engine is running rich. A call to the tuner guy results in him digging out the dyno sheet and looking at his notes. More insulting remarks follow, and he asks you if you expected the same tune that ran good at a dry 60 degrees to run the same at a sweaty 95 degrees. You say yes and then he tells you to get a life and some more education on how temperature and humidity affect engine performance. He offers a retune for the current weather at a discounted $300 flat rate. A sudden pain in your wallet springs to life as your credit card starts to throb like a stubbed big toe…

:lol: :hail2:
this is tooo coool.. carbs are cheaper. I wish I had injection so I could throw the nitrous or Paxton on with less fuss.

I would say it all depends where you live as to which is better. If it gets cold and the weather changes all the time then go with efi. If however it is warm all year round the carb won't give you much trouble at all. if you want better fuel milage then go efi.

If it is a DD then go EFI. If it is a drag car and you want to go cheaper go carbed. What is the car used for? How often is it driven. With more info we can give u better answers. :)