Jan 17, 2001
P1140079 - Copy.JPG
P1140080 - Copy.JPG
P1140081 - Copy.JPG
P1140083 - Copy.JPG
P1140084 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 11 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Hurt it... ate a Crower shaft rocker, or, at least all the needle bearings out of it.
They offered to sell me an individual rocker, but, the design was changed (I wonder why??)... so, went with T&D rockers.
Upon tear down inspection, one lifter (Comp) had questionable operation (gritty), so, those had to go as well... not sure if the lifters were junk, or got junked while the motor was eating the needle bearings/snaprings/and such. Either way went with Lunati/Morel.
Also put some nice H beams in it... Scat didn't like 7200-7500 rpm for the lightweight I beams I was running, especially if combined with a 150-175 shot... which sucks.
Oh well.

Reactions: 1 users
~2000 miles... an opps for an extend 8000rpm 2nd gear rolling Burt Reynolds burn out foolish moment likely didn't help... head the knocking as soon as I let off... drove it 1/2 mile home, damage was done.
Was running Penzoil full syn 10w-60 based on engine builders preference... was changed after startup/break-in, and every year there after, so, approx. every 666.66 miles.
Don't know exactly what happened (high rpm shaft flex??), but, the rocker was definitely toast, and they have since changed their design... hmmm...

On my last rebuild there was something wrong with the needle bearing in one of my shaft-mount probe rockers. Not sure if there's a common problem with these less-than-lunati rocker/lifters.

I know, I know... with only ~215cfm to work with, it is one "pizzed off" little 306.
It really doesn't mind 7000+rpm... it just hates anything under 2000rpm... and really sounds like it wants to either quit, or come apart at idle.

Reactions: 1 users