How do you make your loved ones understand...

csledd

Official Ovary Punching Member
Founding Member
Aug 18, 2001
Paducah, KY
I don't think my soon to be hubby understands my Mustang obsession, it's mostly my fault because I became bored with my 2003 GT but now I really really want a 2011 Mustang GT. I test drove one and it revived my love for these cars that I've had for so long. He just doesn't understand that I NEED this car haha. Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone have any successes in convincing their loved ones? I imagine several people are in the same situation with the new 5.0's coming out.

• Sponsors (?)

My wife and I both have jobs, and spend our money the way we want. (Although we do share some things). If you really are into something, don't worry about convincing him...he should hopefully understand and support you.

The last few cars and motorcycles I've bought (buy and sell etc, not that I have all of them currently lol) I've just shown up at home with them. Never asked for "permission" or anything like that. Same would apply for her. :nice:

Two things you can do:

1. Since he is a guy, get him interested in cars also. This is easier than the guys on here trying to get the gf or wives interested. He might decide he wants one also...but one in the family will work.

2. Explain that everyone needs a hobby. Yours happens to be cars. Explain that a cars are better than bars.

Seriously, from someone that has been married 17 years, the wife doesn't understand or join it, just that fact the I enjoy it.

Just talk about it non-stop. My wife got so fed up with it that she just said "Just go and buy a car already". :nice: I'm not interested in buying the car until early next year but she's already on board. :D She may not understand WHY I love the cars so much but it's enough for her to understand that I DO love the cars so much.

Just talk about it non-stop. My wife got so fed up with it that she just said "Just go and buy a car already". :nice: I'm not interested in buying the car until early next year but she's already on board. :D She may not understand WHY I love the cars so much but it's enough for her to understand that I DO love the cars so much.

Haha yeah I've currently been pushing that hard, he's already fed up with it. I bought like all the mustang magazines that have articles about the new 5.0 also and am in the process of pointing stuff out in them.

It's kind of a tough situation though because we're also saving for a house, that's why he says he doesn't want me to buy one. He doesn't really like to finace anything, he wants to buy the house outright in like 1 1/2 years. But I plan to pay off all my debt even my student loan when I sell my 2003 gt and then instead of paying all those bills I figured I could get the car instead so it's not like I'm really spending anything extra haha.

My girlfriend and I both work our asses off. She's in school, and working full time. I work two jobs, and run an LLC (my band) on top of that, so we both get what we want. The moment I saw my first 2011 GT in person, she actually has been pushing me to go check them out at the dealership and see how much of a payment I'd be in for. She doesn't like cars, and probably never will, nor will she understand the reason I love them myself. HOWEVER, she does understand it's something I'm interested in, and that goes a long way.

Just have a sit-and-talk with the guy! :shrug::nice:

I've always loved cars. I've drag raced cars and bikes. Moto-crossed, road raced bikes and cars. Had show cars, street cars, you name it. So a couple years ago when we were looking for a car for my wife I steered her towards a new Mustang. She's had 1 nice street car, but never really was involved in the sport, it was just a car. So we bought her a beautiful satin silver pony. After a while I started getting her more interested, I striped it, we put louvers on, lowered it, etc, etc, etc. Then we went to a car show, then a drag race, then a rally, gradually she got more and more into the car scene and the life style. With 6 kids we've always had to have a people mover. After she got her Mustang I drove the people mover. When that was paid off it was easy for her to understand that now it was my turn for a car. We kept the 7 passenger SUV and bought another Mustang, a GT for me. She is as crazy about cars as I am, it's a great family hobby. Get your sig other involved. It will keep you 2 together, keep you happy and keep you involved in a sport you love.

Get lucky like and find someone who also loves cars like I did.

Even better when they like your car but love theirs so you get that "healthy" competition going ;)

In my case mine is the GT hers is the Z. Works out just great!

Sounds like a lot of you guys have it figured out. I plan to wait until the dealerships are caring a lot more of them at a time and then get one, so I have some time to talk to him about it. He likes cars but he's not into modding them and racing and such. He's drove the same car since he was 16, so I think he might also be a little jealous at the same time, but he's going to buy a used Audi in a few months which is the car he wants.

I've also told him this is pretty much my last chance to own the car that I want and to be able to buy it brand new, since in like 5 years we will probably want to start a family so I'll be driving some suv or something then. I think he understood that. I think he's starting to realize some :)

Sounds like a lot of you guys have it figured out. I plan to wait until the dealerships are caring a lot more of them at a time and then get one, so I have some time to talk to him about it. He likes cars but he's not into modding them and racing and such. He's drove the same car since he was 16, so I think he might also be a little jealous at the same time, but he's going to buy a used Audi in a few months which is the car he wants.

I've also told him this is pretty much my last chance to own the car that I want and to be able to buy it brand new, since in like 5 years we will probably want to start a family so I'll be driving some suv or something then. I think he understood that. I think he's starting to realize some :)

That last paragraph is so full of FAIL its epic!

The Mustang has four seats with LATCH! Why do people have to confine themselves in these little archetypes and cater to everyone's silly expectations. Live a little enjoy life!

When I'll need something with more then two doors the answer is, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru STI, or 4 door M3. You don't have to trade in your likes and your personality for 'practicality' There is plenty of ways for everyone to be happy! while maintaining your own persona.

Sorry just had to rant a little I've seen too many times what giving up something you really want or like does to someone I hate when I hear people head down that way. :nice:

Atta girl, but I hate to play Dr. Phil here but is it right to have to trick someone into getting what you really want especially something as trivial (in the grand scheme of things not to you obviously) as a car?

Someone shouldn't have to go through those lengths for a perfectly normal hobby.

Yeah you're right, which like I said I don't think he understands my interest in it because I kind of took a break from it during most of our relationship but I'm definitely back into it now so hopefully he will see that.