I have been defeated

• Sponsors (?)

We have inspections here which means you have to have a legal exhaust system meaning Converters but beyond that its all good. You can run no smog, no EGR and it wont matter

Also changed in 2008 in CA, all catalytic converters must be in their original stock locations and correct numbers MEANING the factory 4 cats that come stock on our beautiful 5.0s must be there, no 2 cat custom 351 exhaust business(which of course I have)...I hate to blame a certain group of people but...its all the many many early 90s civic/prelude/accord owners that chop their springs (thus our headlight heigth law), staight pipe the exhaust (new cat law) and put a coffee can on it (90 decibal noise law), but thats just my opinion nd thats not worth anything.

I hate to get off topic here haha but goin to list out a build that me and my machine shop worked up today, tell me what you guys think

I think this thread should be renamed "CARB build"

$550 100k mile complete motor from junkyard, so i dont have to buy a smog pump/egr/oil pan/distributor/harmonic balancer/flywheel/etc seperately
-and yes Im doing this build on a stock cam for emissions (computer friendly, no tuning), we'll see how far this thing can go

Block work $950
clean
bore + hone w/ plates
surface
line hone
install cam bearings
install pistons on rods
file fit rings
grind crank
balance
assemble short block

Parts (new)
Main bearings $43.46
Rod bearings $44.15
Cam bearings $24.00
Hydraulic roller lifters $150
JE pistons $463.99
Timing set $59.99
Oil pump + shaft $39.25
Trick Flow 170's CARB# D-369-12 $1299
Comp Cams Pro Mag Rockers $298.52
Gangsta Push rods $89.00
Gaskets $164.99

Already have from the 351w: TrickFlow upper intake manifold, BBK 76mm TB, C&L 75mm MAF, all with CARB numbers

Already have from the original 302: Trick Flow lower intake manifold, 19 and 24 lb/hr injectors, MAC shorty headers with 02 bung

So thoughts? Yes this is $4175 build and I know what you guys are gonna say, thats pretty steep for a stock block setup, but it is from scatch and completely smog legal in CA...and Im not doing any of the work except putting intake manifolds on and installing the motor in the car. Plus I have 351w parts to sell off to make up for the cost so its not a total loss.

CA has been going BK for some time, going back to at least the early/mid 90s as beyond the social spending their prison system is so large and the population such a drain. Look up the history and development of their criminal/penal system and you will see a lot of states have moved away from following in CA's footsteps due to the large financial strain their laws (ever the downward spiral in themselves) have caused and been causing for a very long time.

Also changed in 2008 in CA, all catalytic converters must be in their original stock locations and correct numbers MEANING the factory 4 cats that come stock on our beautiful 5.0s must be there, no 2 cat custom 351 exhaust business(which of course I have)...I hate to blame a certain group of people but...its all the many many early 90s civic/prelude/accord owners that chop their springs (thus our headlight heigth law), staight pipe the exhaust (new cat law) and put a coffee can on it (90 decibal noise law), but thats just my opinion nd thats not worth anything.

I hate to get off topic here haha but goin to list out a build that me and my machine shop worked up today, tell me what you guys think

I think this thread should be renamed "CARB build"

$550 100k mile complete motor from junkyard, so i dont have to buy a smog pump/egr/oil pan/distributor/harmonic balancer/flywheel/etc seperately
-and yes Im doing this build on a stock cam for emissions (computer friendly, no tuning), we'll see how far this thing can go

Block work $950
clean
bore + hone w/ plates
surface
line hone
install cam bearings
install pistons on rods
file fit rings
grind crank
balance
assemble short block

Parts (new)
Main bearings $43.46
Rod bearings $44.15
Cam bearings $24.00
Hydraulic roller lifters $150
JE pistons $463.99
Timing set $59.99
Oil pump + shaft $39.25
Trick Flow 170's CARB# D-369-12 $1299
Comp Cams Pro Mag Rockers $298.52
Gangsta Push rods $89.00
Gaskets $164.99

Already have from the 351w: TrickFlow upper intake manifold, BBK 75mm TB, C&L 75mm MAF, all with CARB numbers

Already have from the original 302: Trick Flow lower intake manifold, 19 and 24 lb/hr injectors.

So thoughts? Yes this is $4175 build and I know what you guys are gonna say, thats pretty steep for a stock block setup, but it is from scatch and completely smog legal in CA

Why not just call up CHP and get a shortblock and put your stuff on it? I got my DSS shortblock for around 2,200. CHP was very close in cost but shipping from CA to MO for the CHP and from Chitown IL to St. Louis MO for DSS favored the DSS purchase.

I disagree w/ everything you said Kurt but Im not going to ruin the OP's thread.

CA has been going BK for some time, going back to at least the early/mid 90s as beyond the social spending their prison system is so large and the population such a drain. Look up the history and development of their criminal/penal system and you will see a lot of states have moved away from following in CA's footsteps due to the large financial strain their laws (ever the downward spiral in themselves) have caused and been causing for a very long time.

*Clears throat*

See..

Anyway Good luck getting the car running to pass smog on that POS tax happy state.

just read this beauty

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/807926-max-power-stock-gt-cam.html

I feel like stock cam builds could be in question in all 49 other states but in CA, its the only option haha, its californias sandbox and i have to play by their rules

I think I will be happy with the power, Im buyin an s/c right after smog too so, good times ahead, Ill keep you guys updated with news and power numbers from this build. Lucky for me my machine shop guy has a dyno in the back of the shop

california is a beautiful state but u cant modify your car you get tickets how gay is that michigan is the worst state lol but at least we can lower our cars put hid lights just all out trick it out have no cats **** like that

california is a beautiful state but u cant modify your car you get tickets how gay is that michigan is the worst state lol but at least we can lower our cars put hid lights just all out trick it out have no cats **** like that

While I agree that California sucks for engine mods, there is plenty you can do within the rules. You just have to follow the rules. For example, I dropped a 1994 Cobra engine in my 1994 V6, and it's all legal - I can get smogged anywhere. I just had to have it inspected and verify all the emissions parts were there. Not that much of a PITA from my POV.

You should be able to get away with an aftermarket catted x-pipe/h-pipe. Smog pump and egr will definitely have to be there. Just make sure all the carb #'s are there for aftermarket parts and you won't have any issues.

Why do you have to pay $25 for a 1 day pass? I have gotten multiple passes from the Davis/Woodland dmv's with no charge at all.

Are you looking to sell any of the parts your taking off? Let me know... I'm about 15 min west of Sac.

Gotta be a way around this.

What did Saleen use for the 351 block for the 94-00 S351? I would bet money it's a truck 351....unless Saleen had a stash of crown vic 351's sitting around for a few years.

What about the 95R? Unique block? OR a truck block?

I wonder if there is a way to get documentation on Saleen using a 351 truck block and then claiming the engine is a 351 Saleen engine???

I think it has more to do with year than size. In California, you can't put an engine older than your car in. I now it sounds silly, but they check the year the block was casted. If the block is older than the car, it's a no go item.

Kurt