is it worth it??

• Sponsors (?)

Cobain03 said:
a 66 with a 289 that needs minor stuff and a paint job (redoin it) for 3800 also a new carb would be needed but its driveable and runs good

Really impossible to say from the information provided.

How much rust is visible on the car from 10 feet?
From 2 feet?
With a flashlight and a jack?

What condition is the interior in?
Seats ripped anywhere?
Does water leak in from the cowl? from other spots?

Is the car all oriniginal? Suspension and driveline?

Do you have a Mustang club locally? If so, you could probably get someone from there to check it out for you. The biggest problem with '66 models, is the stuff you CAN'T see. You need to be able to check frame rails (especially front), floor pans, cowling, and trunk floor side panels. None of these problems are show stoppers, except rotten frame rails. You should also check around the bottom of the battery for rotten radiator support, and corroded inner fender panels.

Get a parts catalog and check prices for that minor stuff. If you've never owned a classic before, you might be shocked by how quickly the $$$ adds up for a little chrome thing here, a new knob there. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the car, but be honest with yourself about what you're willing to spend on the total project, and just how much it will actually do what you have planned.

BTW... I have a great '66 coupe...but I spent $35k to get it where I want it, and I did all the work except paint & headliner myself. Have fun!

yea i got one but i doubt they would be any help. What i need is just a car to get me to and from school (high) and this is the kinda of car i want. and since parents are payin for insurance and im payin for the car.

If you're just looking for transportation, I wouldn't recommend a 38 year old car. They tend to need more maintenance and repair than you might be able to afford.

As a practical matter, you would be better off with an older, late model car, in good shape. When you're a little better off financially, a Mustang project might be a good idea. Right now, its probably more important to have a car that's reliable, than it is to look cool...Just my opinion.