Just got slicks, where to launch?!?!

99GTNOOB

May 30, 2008
FLA
So i just got some MT drags and wondering where should i be launching at the track. I have been running on street tires since day one and of course have had to baby it out around 1500 - 2k rpms barely without spinning ridiculously. What should be a good area to launch now with the MT drags and welds?? i have been running 13.9's on the street tires and i got 2 runs in with the new drags before it got rained out and my times were actually slower. Each time i bogged down of course because of launching at 2k and dropping the clutch. What is the proper way to launch with the slicks???

• Sponsors (?)

So i just got some MT drags and wondering where should i be launching at the track. I have been running on street tires since day one and of course have had to baby it out around 1500 - 2k rpms barely without spinning ridiculously. What should be a good area to launch now with the MT drags and welds?? i have been running 13.9's on the street tires and i got 2 runs in with the new drags before it got rained out and my times were actually slower. Each time i bogged down of course because of launching at 2k and dropping the clutch. What is the proper way to launch with the slicks???

well assuming you've got a beefed up rear end id say launch around 5k and drop the clutch

haha ok this thread will lead to this question. Should i be launching with these mt drags with a stock rear end or should i go with et streets to be more safe OR is anything other than the street tires needing an upgrade in the rear end??? tire sizes are 26X10-15

running 373's, i heard the 8.8 rear ends are pretty solid up to about 400rwhp??? and right now im only putting out about a measley 260rwhp. not really modded at all just want more traction!! lol

yea i wont be able to do that for another 3 weeks though. but guess i will play it safe. i actually did 2 passes with the slicks but like i said they were launches at a maximum of 2k

You can launch high with the slicks and be allright.

You can do a 4-5k lauch if you want, just quickly slip the clutch untill you get rolling.

Don't dump it and the chances of you breaking something is GREATLY reduced.

You will still get a better launch this way...:nice:

You can have an 800rwhp GT and the stock 8.8 will hold up just fine so long as you dont launch hard on very sticky tires. A stock car launching hard enough, too many times will break.

go with 31 spline axles, you can get a carrier out of a ford truck 8.8 with the 31 spline side sears.. these can be found in the explorers, f-150 and SOME rangers.

build the stock t lok and measure it on the tight side of spec.. you can add a friction and remove a steel on each side if you want

weld the axle tubes to the housing all the way around, and reinforce the tourqe boxes

then dump the 3.73's for 4.10's or so and launch this thing at about 4500-5000

Moved to tech since this is a tech thread.

go with 31 spline axles, you can get a carrier out of a ford truck 8.8 with the 31 spline side sears.. these can be found in the explorers, f-150 and SOME rangers.

build the stock t lok and measure it on the tight side of spec.. you can add a friction and remove a steel on each side if you want

weld the axle tubes to the housing all the way around, and reinforce the tourqe boxes

then dump the 3.73's for 4.10's or so and launch this thing at about 4500-5000

Moved to tech since this is a tech thread.

:nice:

don't matter what you got, i'd try 100 RPM before redline on slicks.
I feel thats what will get you the best times, but i don't know about the rear end being able to take it.