Loose Rubbers

Hey guys! I have a 2003 GT Conv. It's an auto with traction control and bone stock (except the CAI). I have Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires on it which seemed to be fairly new when I bought the car back in December. What I notice though is that they like to lose traction a lot when I punch it. Tonight I was driving back home on a pretty much deserted road (so of course I had to play :p) and when the car was shifting from 1st to 2nd, the TC light came on and the car dang near got sideways!! Now, I'd love to think that my car is awesomely powerful and torquey, but that's prob not the case. I'm still fairly new to Mustangs, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I heard that Pirelli's were supposed to be good tires. What I want to know is if any one else has had experience with these tires? Is it just the torque of my car, or are my tires crap?

• Sponsors (?)

The title of this thread is kinda funny. :D

Anyways yeah I would say thats a little extreme on getting sideways with a stock vert. However you never know. It could have been the road surface. Does this always happen?

Mine can get a little sideways N/A from time to time but I have maxed timing and gears.

If you are considering new tires I would go with the KDW2s. I get nearly as good traction on dry surface as I did with Nitto DRs and I get pretty darn good wet traction as well. :nice:

Road surface has alot to do with it.

Sometimes I can burn 2nd gear all the way to redline on a hard 1-2 shift, others I just get a quick squawk of the tires.

+1 on that. When I first got these Sumitomos installed, I took first up to 6k and slammed it into second, and roasted them all the way through to 3rd. I was kinda pissed, but soon discovered that that was the only stretch of road that allowed that to happen for me.

The title of this thread is kinda funny. :D

Anyways yeah I would say thats a little extreme on getting sideways with a stock vert. However you never know. It could have been the road surface. Does this always happen?

No, it doesn't always happen like this. I mean, I've had it try to kick out a little on a straight away, but TC usually stops that. They also slide easier than my roommates 94 GT Conv, but not sure if that has more to do with the cars.

It sounds like you have a tune and just don't know it. I can't see how a normally-programmed automatic would shift hard enough to break 'em loose. I have a tune which raises the shift firmness, and mine gets sideways every time. When my car is tuned to stock, it'll only shift hard the first shift or so right after flashing the pcm before the tranny "re-learns" the soft stock shift.

id like to know how you people are driving, i can barely chirp second and if i do its on crappy surface, and this was with my old continental gt's, on the setup in my sig that got me 14.033 @ 100.3mph.

i cant even break them loose in 1st now with my 10" wide KDW2's now.

id like to know how you people are driving, i can barely chirp second and if i do its on crappy surface, and this was with my old continental gt's, on the setup in my sig that got me 14.033 @ 100.3mph.

i cant even break them loose in 1st now with my 10" wide KDW2's now.
tires/pressure/temp/surface has a lot to do with it