must be no tech here

98slowbra

Apr 19, 2005
I am not a mechanic and asked a question about what is the normal operating temp for a 98 cobra. My temp gauge runs around 210 and when stuck in traffic it goes up to 225. Now is this ok for the car? is it running to hot? what should be the normal operating temp of the car? No one on this forum seems to know these questions. Can someone point me to a good forum that has real techs in it so my questions can be answered?

• Sponsors (?)

What temp thermostat do you have?

How are you determining the exact temp of the engine so precisely?

Are you displeased with the quality of the FREE technical support you are receiving?

have you ever switched out your thermostat? if you're running the factory themo, you should switch to an aftermarket 180* thermostat like the one from napa i think ford racing might have one also.

do not go below 180* 160* thermos are counterproductive and will screw around with the loop cycle.
also to get the full benefit from the thermostat reprogram the ecu to have the fans kick on earlier. to manipulate the fans use a hand held programmer like the predator.

just keep in mind that the gauges are known to be off and NOT accurate. if you really think that it is running too hot, check out your coolant system. check all hoses, radiator, water pump etc.. for leaks and replace anything that is cracked or leaking.
if everything looks good, try a coolant flush and putting something like this in:
http://www.pro-blend.com/2.htm
you arent overheating yet, but anything higher than 240 degrees is when you need to start worrying.

98slowbra said:
I am not a mechanic and asked a question about what is the normal operating temp for a 98 cobra. My temp gauge runs around 210 and when stuck in traffic it goes up to 225. Now is this ok for the car? is it running to hot? what should be the normal operating temp of the car? No one on this forum seems to know these questions. Can someone point me to a good forum that has real techs in it so my questions can be answered?

From the Ford shop manual for your car "The cooling fan motor starts operating at 221°F and stops when temperature drops to 201°F."