My '07 GT got hit :(

fox1x

Oct 3, 2005
Northwest Ohio
I was eastbound on Airport highway in Toledo, there is contruction ahead and several signs saying left lane ends must merge right. Well, I was in the right lane and this Jeep comes flying around me, couln't get over to my lane in time and hit me. Knocks my mirror right off and dents up my fender.

I pull over and the guy is mad yelling "What the hell, your lane ends!!" I looked at him and pointed back to the signs and said: "No, look again, YOUR lane ends" He then looks back at the signs, relizes he is wrong and says to me: "How long have those sign been there?" I told him "about 1 month"

A witness then pulls up, (they were right behind me) and says to both of us "we saw the whole thing, we're siding with the guy in the Mustang, the Jeep cut you off when his lane ended."

Well, the police come, even though my car just got hit, I'm feeling pretty good because I not only have a witness, but I have the sign saying his lane ended. This is where the story gets irate for me. The guy that hit me immediatly pulls his daughter out of his Jeep (she must be 3 or 4) and starts kiss assin with cop with his little girl. You know, the "You wanted to say hi to the officer (in his baby talk voice) and all that other garbage" After hearing our stories, the officer looks at me and says "I think you were in the wrong." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said to the officer "What do you mean, his lane ends, look at the signs!" The cop says "I didn't see the sign, I'll go look at them" So she takes off to see the signs and comes back a minute or two later. She looks at me again and says "well, I still think you were in the wrong because I think those signs are wrong." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After hearing this, of course I am boiling inside, but I maintain my composure and say: "M'am, with all due respect, if those sign are wrong, why have they been up for a month, why did they grind the old line off of the road and repaint new ones showing the left lane ends, and I even have a witness saying HE sped up and cut me off" She says: "well, uh,... well,,... (pauses for awhile).. I'm not going to cite anyone because I believe the sign are wrong"

Well, that's my story. I've been attempting to contact the captain of the police dept. since it happend but to no avail. I was thinking of showing these photos and the story to the local TV station. Here's some of the photos:

(Well, I can't figure out yet how to post my photos, I'll figure it out soon. Unless someone wants me to email them so they can put them up)

• Sponsors (?)

email them to me and i will post them for you. MAN! what kind of cop thinks the signs are wrong??? if the sign is posted, you have to follow the regulations set up, not make your own decision on which lane should end. :bang:

Obviously someone that doesn't like people with sports cars. She just couldn't cover herself after you pointed out the signs, so she decided to "side with nobody". What a crock. I definitely would get in touch with her superior. The signs are wrong? And THAT'S why the majority of women suck at driving.

I talked with my insurance today. Without a report I pay the deductable and they pick up the rest. (I risk my rates going up). Or, I contact his insurance and file a claim. Again though, without a report, they may laugh at me.

I stopped in in at the dealership to schedule an appointment for an estimate. I told some of the guys the story while we were staring at the car and they just laughed. They couldn't believe it either.

Right past the Reynolds road sign (you can see it better in the second picture), are a bunch of construction barrels. About 1/8 of a mile past the intersection is where it runs into 1 lane. The construction company ground off the old lines and placed new lines. (Showing the left lane ends.) I was in the right lane SINCE I HAD LEFT WORK for the day. I NEVER went into the left lane. I'm not one of the dick's that runs up the lane that everyone knows is ending then cuts in.

As you can clearly see, the road is very clearly marked by two bright orange sign signaling the left lane is ending. After the sign, the ground markings, as stated before, have been redone to show the lane ends.

The guy in the Jeep was passed the intersection (where is starts to recede to one lane, guns it and pulls over and hits me. As stated I even have witnesses that I provided to the officer that backed my story.

After I talking with the officer, i had pointed those signs out (1st post). Those are the ones that I said she had walked over to then stated, I think those sign are wrong" You know the rest of the story from here.

(Thanks BigCat for the pic posting)

LOL the sign is wrong lol ill try that next time i get a speeding ticket. im sry officer i was speeding because the sign is wrong its 120 not 50. lol thats so funny sry about your car tho

dude that sux azz, i would like to tell you to show those pics to the officer's higher ups. but that may give her pd a hard on for you in the future. and unless they cited the a-hole for failing to obey traffic signs, i dont think his insurance will cover. even if you got written testimony from the witnesses along with your pics, it still may be a long drawn out court battle. you might come out better eating the deductible and fixing your 07 thru your insur. whatever you do good luck and keep us posted.

You know, I'm really really tempted (if speaking to the superiors at the police station doesn't work) to take these pics, along with the witnesses phone number, and this story to the local TV station. Somehow I think they would like a story like this. Kind if like the "Outrageous segment of the day" type thing.

You know, I'm really really tempted (if speaking to the superiors at the police station doesn't work) to take these pics, along with the witnesses phone number, and this story to the local TV station. Somehow I think they would like a story like this. Kind if like the "Outrageous segment of the day" type thing.

i say go for it. even if you have to eat the expenses. you can still show how inept th pd can sometimes be...... (if any cops are out there, i said sometimes):hail2:

Would probably end up costing me more than my deductable

maybe but if your insurance company increases your premiums it might save you in the long run. If the other guys insurance company doesnt have to pay out then they wont and you will have to pay. i have a friend who got keyed and his insurance paid but he knew who did it and sued them and he won a few thousand dollars.

Small update (I'll fill the rest in later, it's pretty interesting) After spening LITERALLY 3 hours over two seperate trips to the police station; they found they other guy at fault. BUT, covering themselves (and I believe her pride), she still insists the signs were wrong and is leaving that in the report. She still refuses to cite the other guy. I told them their were false statement(s) in the report, and found out that the police NEVER ONCE attempted to contact the witness. The Sergeant was very very very quick to point out to me that the report wasn't false, it contained "errors". After I caught these "errors" he pointed out to me that we are all human and make mistakes. I then told him that he should listen to the audio tape from the cruiser camera, he would find that these "errors" were in fact addressed by me to the officer during the traffic stop. I told him what the report says makes no sense. Like I said, I'll fill you guys in later tomorrow, I'll even get a copy of the report.

Small update (I'll fill the rest in later, it's pretty interesting) After spening LITERALLY 3 hours over two seperate trips to the police station; they found they other guy at fault. BUT, covering themselves (and I believe her pride), she still insists the signs were wrong and is leaving that in the report. She still refuses to cite the other guy. I told them their were false statement(s) in the report, and found out that the police NEVER ONCE attempted to contact the witness. The Sergeant was very very very quick to point out to me that the report wasn't false, it contained "errors". After I caught these "errors" he pointed out to me that we are all human and make mistakes. I then told him that he should listen to the audio tape from the cruiser camera, he would find that these "errors" were in fact addressed by me to the officer during the traffic stop. I told him what the report says makes no sense. Like I said, I'll fill you guys in later tomorrow, I'll even get a copy of the report.

Well congrats, thats at least a good turn in your favor! Hope it all works out.

After looking at the pictures this cop is clearly wrong. No matter what you were in your lane and he came into yours and hit you, he is 100 percent at fault.

Unfortunately this stuff does happen and I think you were a victim of favoritism

Here is a example of what happened to my dad about 20 years ago..

We were at a car dealer buying my mom a new car and my dad was backing his truck up front in front of the service entrance and he was going to park it into a spot near the entrance, this woman in a tempo turned into the parking lot fast and hit the back of my dads truck. I watched the whole thing and one of the techs saw it.

Now keep in mind the entire accident happened in dealer parking lot.

The woman in the tempo ( who was extremely hot, I mean this woman was a 10) called the police and a officer showed up and we he did the officer and the woman went into the dealership and talked for a long time ( they went into one of the offices and closed the door, LOL I wonder why :lol: ) When they came out without even asking a witness or my dad anything he says it's my dads fault :nonono: and writes him a ticket for something like recklessly backing up onto a road. ( I can't remember what it was called exactly)

My dad LOST IT on this cop, I still can't believe that he did not get arrested

In the end the entire thing was taken care of and the ticket was fixed and they changed the report so my dad was not at fault. At that time my dad had some friends that were high up in some of the police departments around here, and it took a lot of work to make that go away.