My car is plotting against me, wont hit 12's

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
So I cant break 12's. I feel like I should just give up. Short of doing something drastic my car is pretty much just stuck in the 13's. My mod list is trickflow intake, TFS stage 1 cam, gt40p heads with upgraded springs, all the bolt on goodies like pullies, 75mm t/b, longtube headers, o/r xpipe, 3.73 gears, with 26x10.5 MT ET Streets in the back. Here is my best time slip I've gotten so far which I pulled tonight. The past like 8 times I've run my car I've gotten 13.06-13.1 with about a 1.74-1.82 60' and clocking about 104mph. I would do pretty damn well in bracket racing cause its consistant I can say that, but I just cant reach that magic number. I mean 13.06 come on! I Went out next run and said ok I am going to get a perfect launch this time and power shift every gear, and no difference. I am about to just throw the nitrous on and call it a day. More of a rant than anything else I guess, I really dont know what else I can do other than buy expensive parts to make more hp. The thing that bothers me though is I saw cars running 12.6@104mph I just didnt see what their 60' was.

318139_10151157916605715_552440714_12179512_1223008254_n.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely something funky going on. Back before i got my 347 short block, i was running a high mile 302 with the same ported '69 351 heads, a Stealth intake, 650 Holley and a X303 cam, plus all the other junk like headers/exhaust/efan/3.73s. I think i was even running a stock ignition back then. I didn't have any problem at all running 12.8 @107 blowing my half bald drag radials to pieces. I never did better than a 1.92 60 foot. My car is about 3100lbs with me in it. I think if i could have left the line harder and ran a lower 60, there's no reason i couldn't have gone 12.5 or better with that setup.

How high you launching rpm wise? I left around 4500... And went 1.72 but was nose down on the limiter since it wouldn't go in 2nd should have been around 1.69 ish

Man, it's been a really, really long time since I've been down a dragstrip. I'm talking 1992, maybe... and I ran carbed engines. I put a gutted '79 hatch with an iron headed 357w into the high 10's. I never weighed the car, but it was G-U-T-T-E-D. Rolled aluminum dash, cage, plastic buckets, fire ext. period. Weight is the enemy.

Also, tuning the car properly is critical, although I did it with a screwdriver vs a laptop back then, It's gotta be perfect, man. Fuel, timing, everything. Look at parasitic loss. look at tire pressure. Rear suspension setup. Front suspension setup. Shift points. Engine temp. Ice your intake...

It took a lot of tries to get there, and a lot of tearing down and starting from scratch. I would certainly think it could be done with what you have with a little attn to detail.:shrug:

Whats the car weigh?...My 3780 lb convertible...AOD stock long block with a litttle powerdyne did 13.3@104 with a 1.81 60ft...i know i had 12's in it...just ditched the blower going turbo now...But i would think something is stopping you..weight?....temp,DA..something....

I launched at about 4500 rpm, I feel like my launch is pretty good, I ran a 13.07@104 the first time with a 1.85 60', then I ran a 13.06@104 with 1.79 60'. I dropped my 60' .05 and only gained .01 seconds. At that rate I will have to hit a 1.5 60' just to hit 12's, that doesnt sound right. The launch and the mph are there, something is happening in between and trust me I'm not granny shifting it, I'm doubling clutching like I should (sorry had to throw that in there). The car weighs less than a stock GT , I've got no sway bar, no a/c, no smog stuff, I only weigh 180lb.

youre still doing better than me, ive got a very similar mod list (minus the long-tubes) and im barely out of the 14's. course my fat ass has about 150lbs on you, but i was still hoping for better.

I launched at about 4500 rpm, I feel like my launch is pretty good, I ran a 13.07@104 the first time with a 1.85 60', then I ran a 13.06@104 with 1.79 60'. I dropped my 60' .05 and only gained .01 seconds. At that rate I will have to hit a 1.5 60' just to hit 12's, that doesnt sound right. The launch and the mph are there, something is happening in between and trust me I'm not granny shifting it, I'm doubling clutching like I should (sorry had to throw that in there). The car weighs less than a stock GT , I've got no sway bar, no a/c, no smog stuff, I only weigh 180lb.

Double clutching? What trans are you running man? That's what synchros are for dude. Your right foot doesn't move and all your left food does is blip the clutch while you're stabbing gears like Jason Voorhees. That's why you're not running 12s.

Reactions: 1 user
youre still doing better than me, ive got a very similar mod list (minus the long-tubes) and im barely out of the 14's. course my fat ass has about 150lbs on you, but i was still hoping for better.
What kind of tires are you running?

Double clutching? What trans are you running man? That's what synchros are for dude. Your right foot doesn't move and all your left food does is blip the clutch while you're stabbing gears like Jason Voorhees. That's why you're not running 12s.

Sorry it was a quote from The Fast and the Furious, it was a joke lol.