My project this weekend

JDubz50

Jul 7, 2011
Minnesota
Well I got my car out of storage yesterday so now I can finally install the stuff I had sitting around for it:

20120309_221436.jpg

BBK Cold Air Intake
75mm Pro-M MAF
9mm Blue FRPP Spark Plug Wires
New Spark Plugs
Sea Foam Treatment
Oil Change/Filter

• Sponsors (?)

Well I did the seafoam this morning and all went well I thought. It didn't smoke too bad, I did half in the crank case and half in the vacuum line. Not to sure if it did too much though. Ill let you know after I drive it some more today.

New parts, oil change and some fresh ignition parts = always a good thing.
You might feel a difference with the new MAF depending on how dirty the old one was and how Pro-M calibrates the air/fuel map with a stock computer.

Yea actually the MAF is to replace a big F up that a local shop did to my car some years ago. When my car was having idling problems they told me that my MAF was shot. So I figured if they were going to replace it, that I wanted to go with an aftermarket one like a Pro-M. So they ordered the part and installed it and it ran okay for a little while but still had a check engine light on. Well, not to long after that, my car sat in storage for a couple of years. Just last year I decided to do some digging around in my engine bay and check some stuff when I noticed they installed the WRONG meter! The one they installed was calibrated for a 93 5.0 Mustang. They actually had to cut the housing down to make it fit in my airbox. Well when I called them out on this they pretty much told me "its been too long and nothing can be done". So after some arguing I just decided to order the right one. I was younger at the time and knew nothing about cars so I didn't think to check their work. Also, they overcharged me big time... over $500 for the part/install. I know this was something I should have noticed after the work was done and is somewhat my fault but boy did I learn my lesson But yeah, hopefully this tune up will help. Im curious to see what the right MAF will do for my car.

Here are some before and after pictures of the engine bay:

20120311_094821.jpg

20120311_145431.jpg

The BBK air filter was a PITA to install in the fenderwell!! Ill need to drive it some more to tell if there was much improvement or not. I think there will be though...

Thats whats up bro.
That cold air is key to Mustangs.
I had been waiting for the weather to break as well.
I have been back out in the garage the last 2 weeks.
Its especially nice this week so i'll be working on what I can.

Quick question about those 3.55 gears.
I bought a set but did not install them yet.
Wanted to ask if these 3.55 gears altered your speedometer.
And if so how much? and how did you remedy.

Thanks
Banger

Yea I never did put the correct speedo gear in so my speedometer is off by a little. Not much though. I still think I might want to put in 4.10's though but not sure because of driveability issues. If I find a set I like I will put in the correct speedo gear.

Thats whats up bro.
That cold air is key to Mustangs.

This has always intrigued me. The stock air intake is a cold air intake as it draws air in from the fender well. The only difference that I can see is the air flow path and I just don't see that as being an issue on an mostly stock engine. Boosted application are a whole lot different but until the engine air intake requirements exceed the capacity of the stock system I just don't see the logic/benefit of the change other than looks.

This has always intrigued me. The stock air intake is a cold air intake as it draws air in from the fender well. The only difference that I can see is the air flow path and I just don't see that as being an issue on an mostly stock engine. Boosted application are a whole lot different but until the engine air intake requirements exceed the capacity of the stock system I just don't see the logic/benefit of the change other than looks.

+1

You are correct cold air intake and IMO any aftermarket mod. is designed for motors that are being built up for performance and one small mod alone does very little if anything it is only a start. But we are not going to pretend that a good cold air intake does nothing at all. They would have been out of business a loooong time ago. I like mine because it gives it a great look. It also gives it a nice sound and can add a couple horsepower once you get all your mods tuned. I am not an expert and I dont pretend to be. What I should have said was "IMO" cold air intake is a must for Mustangs.