need opinions...leave it lowered or raise it back to stock??

velardern

Apr 5, 2006
it's late and i just don't think i know what i want right now. thought i would lift the car back up to standard, but now i'm not so sure. what if i just change the wheels to crager's and leave it where it is????
lemme just say that this is my first classic and therefore my first mustang, so bear with me as I learn from ya'll.

Attachments

• fc_3.jpg
    fc_3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that is AWEsome. Nice stance. Tires filling the well just so....

Nice look. Leave it.

My wife likes it, but said you should put some FLAMES on it.

Oh, and post some more pics please.

Leave it, When I bought my 72 a PO along the way had put lift springs on the rear, and little tires, it looked really silly with all the open space in the wheel well. I lowered it 1 inch from stock all around and got the right size tires and it looks so much better.

I noticed in a couple of other threads that you are planning to sell the wheels/tires. I think the entire combo looks great. It's something you don't see very often and it is tasteful. I would leave it just like it is, wheels/tire/stance - it looks good.

Jeff

ya'll are killin' me here!! i think i'm just going to leave it alone for now until i can decide exactly what i want. don't want to spend the cash lifting it and then not be happy, but it sure does make for a rough ride that low!

I think it's gorgeous as it sits. You might take a picture from a dead on side view and have someone photoshop it at different heights. If you don't like the ride, I would maybe raise it up an inch. I don't think that would make it look too bad and should help witht he ride.

But what you really need to do is find someone that knows something about these cars and the mods that can be performed on them and find out what you have. It could have been lowered with the Shelby mod and a set of 620 springs in the front and some mid eye or reversed eye springs in the rear.

The other thing is, and I don't mean to slight you in any way, but these cars aren't going to have the same feel that new cars have, the ride will tend to be a little more harsh and the car will tend to be a little noisier. You may already know all this, it's as much for others that don't know as well.

photoshopping it is a good idea. will work on that tonite and you're right, i need to find someone that knows the ins and outs of these cars. i completely understand what you mean by it not driving the way new cars do. when i drove it sunday for the first time, got it up to 85 on the hwy, wanted to stomp on the gas more, but was slightly afraid to...hehe. i haven't driven it since sunday because the brakes are being bled and with the hubby out of town and me with the kiddo, just makes it hard to pick it up. the local mustang guy that's supposedly the best in town is taking it to a show on saturday...curious to see if it wins anything. i might just putter out there with the baby in tow :o)

Y'know, I'm not too crazy about slamming Classics to the ground; and the idea of big wheels and rubber-band tires on old Mustangs just give me a mental toothache :nonono: Having said that, you have one of the best-looking '67s out there, just as it sits. Shouldn't change anything.

As for the ride quality; well, I drive a 4x4 with a Trailer Package. What do you consider "harsh"? :shrug:

Your car looks good right where she sits!
1320stang said:
...................The other thing is, and I don't mean to slight you in any way, but these cars aren't going to have the same feel that new cars have, the ride will tend to be a little more harsh and the car will tend to be a little noisier. You may already know all this, it's as much for others that don't know as well.
Us Classics may be more harsh and noisier, but we ARE alot more fun to drive!:banana:

velardern said:
ya'll are killin' me here!! i think i'm just going to leave it alone for now until i can decide exactly what i want. don't want to spend the cash lifting it and then not be happy, but it sure does make for a rough ride that low!

With 620 1" drop front springs and otherwise stock suspension mine does not ride harsh at all. I am planning on all the typical lowering/performance mods but I am holding on to the old stuff. If I don't like the feel I will go back.

It's a personal decision. If you can get a ride in a stock set-up that is in good condition, I think you should do that and base your decision on that. You don't want to just 'Look' good while dreading the ride.

On another note, I had 71 Camaro. I rebuilt the suspension with Polygraphite bushings, KYB shocks and the biggest swaybars PST carried. I did not like the results. BUT just replacing the rear KYBs with softer monroe shock, made it perfect. The point of that long story is maybe you can soften your ride with some softer shocks.