new clutch=no reverse?

88mustangGT

Apr 6, 2003
Last night me and my friend installed a new clutch and flywheel in his 84 stang . after everything was all back together he couldn’t get it into reverse. However all the other gears are fine and he said it shifted smooth. Im not sure if he got it into 5th gear.

His car had been sitting for a good 6months and had the trany rebuilt before it sat but it had been drivin. Shops have 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'ed him over several times on repairing his 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' so it was time for us to do it. Where his shifter ball goes into the tranny , the sleeve was messed up. Also the bottom side of the shifter was scraped up from something on the tranny, and the part that scraped it up looked warn to but I don’t know what its called.

• Sponsors (?)

does it feel like it could go into 5th and reverse (nothing physically keepin it from going over?). you could take the shifter out and do it manually, watching it.
if not, i would guess something is not right inside the trans.
that is my best guess. good luck and bump.

not sure all i heard was a grinding sound while he was trying to put it into Reverse. it was 4 in the morning and i didnt try it out. do you think it is because of the clutch and if so what would need to be changed?

Check your linkage. Is there a firewall adjuster, adjustable cable, or anything? Reverse is a full synchro gear, and if the linkage isn't tight, it will grind going in even if the forward gears don't. It won't shift right if the gear selector bushing is fragged or missing either, they're cheap- get a new one. That's the sleeve you mentioned. Reverse is just particularly picky about everything b eing perfect before it cooperates. Good luck