New track times

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I got a few runs in at the NMRA event last weekend, and I'm going to a track day tomorrow so I should get in a bunch more runs. :) I ran a new best on my only good run last week. :D

60' = 1.923
330' = 5.166
1/8 = 7.775 @ 94.94mph
1000' = 10.010
1/4 = 11.894 @ 119.78

I spun all the way through first gear so I know there's a lot left in. My goal for tomorrow is 11.75. I'm going to try a couple runs wingless, so I'll probably pick up a tenth and a mph or two just from that. I have the Steeda race wing which is supposedly functional.

I also weighed my car, it's 3500# with me in it and just over 1/4 tank of gas. That's right around 3350# w/out me in the car.

I'll post up my results from tomorrow probably tomorrow night.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the new best. There is more left in that car without a doubt! Good luck at the track rental.

If you are datalogging with the AEM and tuning, try a run with it a bit rich in the upper RPM range and see if it picks up any. I'd throw something like 3% from 5250-up to the duty cycle. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. The added load at the top end of the track sometimes likes being a little fat in my experience.

Well I didn't run any faster and I broke the motor. :( It's blowing smoke out of the breathers and sounds like it's on 7 cylinders. I missed a gear and hit the rev limiter at 6800 right before that happened. If it's not a simple cheap fix I might go with a different setup. *cough*turbo*cough* ;)

Best run of the day was 11.90 @ 120.55. I did have one 1/8 mile trap speed of 96.96 mph :). I also got my 2 step set up and working pretty well. It got hot and track went to crap so I couldn't go any faster. My 60' was in the 2.0 range all day.

I had it set at 6500 but I wanted to run it to that on the dyno so I set it 6800 and forgot to change it back. :(

I'm thinking possibly a rocker came off one of the exhaust valves. Had something like that happen once before when I revved it a little too high. If it's not that it's probably the piston rings, which would really suck. :( I did a run after this happened when I thought it was ok....Ran a 12.50 @ 115 and it started missing so I parked it and towed it home.

aww :(

I wanted to see some 11.60's

Im going tomorrow, i just need to get better then 11.75 to be happy!

I think i need a 40 MPH tail wind :rolleyes:

Are you going to get it fixed before the tracks close?

Jeff B.
Oh man. Completely off topic, but remember how awhile back you said we were twins? Both GTS owners, both named Jeff? Well, my last name begins with a B also. :rlaugh: No lie.

I had it set at 6500 but I wanted to run it to that on the dyno so I set it 6800 and forgot to change it back. :(

I'm thinking possibly a rocker came off one of the exhaust valves. Had something like that happen once before when I revved it a little too high. If it's not that it's probably the piston rings, which would really suck. :( I did a run after this happened when I thought it was ok....Ran a 12.50 @ 115 and it started missing so I parked it and towed it home.

If you pull the plugs, you'll have a good idea of what's happened. Since you overrevved the engine it's more likely you floated an intake valve and it got smacked by the piston, bending the valve. The piston could also be cracked and that would cause the blowby into the crankcase.
If the plugs don't tell the story, a compression check on all cylinders definitely will. Let us know what you find.

If you pull the plugs, you'll have a good idea of what's happened. Since you overrevved the engine it's more likely you floated an intake valve and it got smacked by the piston, bending the valve. The piston could also be cracked and that would cause the blowby into the crankcase.
If the plugs don't tell the story, a compression check on all cylinders definitely will. Let us know what you find.

Eh, that's a little far fetched. He's got some serious valvetrain in there, it shouldn't float. And even if it did, a floating valve isn't going to hit a piston. If the valve stays open after the cam turns back over, the piston is heading the other way anyway. And usually pistons melt, if they crack bad enough to cause smoke in the case, it's going to shatter anyway. The rocker falling off doesn't sound too far out there. I've had that happen before.

Kurt

Here's the plug from cyl #8. :(
Car's done for the year, maybe two. I can't afford to put any more money into it for a while.
badplug.jpg

Yeah it should have been fine at 6800. I know I've hit that rpm numerous times with no problems, other than one time a rocker came loose. :shrug:

Somebody mentioned that running it lean could have damaged the rings. I had it at 18:1 at WOT for a while due to a junk wideband. I didn't beat on it like that, but I didn't exactly go easy on it either. Somebody else suggested it could have jumped time and smacked a valve. I'm going to pull the engine and tear it apart probably early next month.

Ouch..looks liike it floated and all hell broke loose, unfortunatly been there, done that. Just depends how much damage it did to the heads and cylinders.

Shame, I agreee with Paul there was a good bit left in that combo, if I can help let me know ;)

Hold on. 6800 rpms is a lot on a factory style block. Is that a 2 bolt main or a 4 bolt main, and do you run a girdle on it? The reason I don't think it's the valvetrain is because the AFR 225 is a big race head. Thsoe heads are naturally going to be setup with decent hardware that's built to exceed 8000 rpms. There's no reason you should ever have to turn that engine that fast.

Kurt

'69 block 351W, 2 bolt main no girdle. Forged crank, Scat H-beam rods, forged Probe pistons. I agree the heads should be good for 7000+ easy. They're listed at 4500-8500 RPM on AFR's website.