Ok. I'm an idiot. How the hell did you get the LEDs installed over the rear plate??

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
I tried just unscrewing the cover that goes over them so I could shove the new bulbs in... but... teh crappy plastic screws stripped and didnt wanna budge. It doesnt look like the bulbs pull out the back from inside the trunk either...

I'm guessing you guys just didn't have the stripping problem. They dont want to let go and the screws are plastic!

WTF.:nonono: :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

To get those things out is easy once you figure it out. Take a screwdriver and hold it on the slot beihind the plastic screw so it doesn't turn. Then just turn the screw with your hand while kinda pulling back on it. Hard to explain over teh internet but try that.

Those plastic trim fasteners require a soft touch and patience.

Gently work the tip of a small screw driver or knife under the head of the plastic screw and encourage it to back out. Once it comes out enough to grab it you should be able to pull it out. The threads are pretty loose, do not worry about "stripping" any. Also, new ones are at AutoZone for super cheap...

I've been pulled over before for not having 'adequate license plate illumination'. I'm sure they can hand out a ticket if they feel it's 'excessive license plate illumination'. Hell, I've been pulled over before in my Ranger, because the chrome differential cover was reflecting the cop's lights back at him, and he thought I was doing it. It's never possible to be 100% perfect with a cop. I just make my vehicles look the way I want them to, because there will always be something a cop can pull you over for.

They aren't really screws. I don';t know why ford put screwheads on them.

Grab the head with needle-nose pliers and pull straight down. Then do the same for the sleeve.

It does light your lisence plate up really brightly, but i haven't had a prob. I even did my Reverse lights which always get me comments at night when i back out of spaces at the mall or whatever

View attachment 423217
View attachment 423219

They look purple in the pic, but they are white. For some reason the silver paint on my car makes them look purple in pics

Shiroelex said:
I've been pulled over before for not having 'adequate license plate illumination'. I'm sure they can hand out a ticket if they feel it's 'excessive license plate illumination'. Hell, I've been pulled over before in my Ranger, because the chrome differential cover was reflecting the cop's lights back at him, and he thought I was doing it. It's never possible to be 100% perfect with a cop. I just make my vehicles look the way I want them to, because there will always be something a cop can pull you over for.

That is hilarious about the cop pulling you for the chrome bumper reflection! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: What a moron!

I've been pulled for a couple 'infractions' myself ... such as "illegal display of plates" (had a saleen lisense plate frame that covered half of my expiration month/year) and more recently, "driving left of center". Apparently it's a law that you have to drive in the DEAD CENTER of your lane. :rolleyes:

Back on track ...... This is prolly a stupid question but what exactly is the "mod" that this thread is about. I mean, are they special LED's, where do ya get em, etc ...???

The reverse lights are 3156's.

These are the LED's i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3156...tegoryZ33713QQihZ005QQitemZ150059967575QQrdZ1

They aren't any brighter than the normal bulbs, but they look better. There are a few different style LED's, just go on Ebay and type in "LED 3156" or "LED 194" for the lisence plate bulbs.

I was thinking of doing the taillight sections in LED's using those multi-direction LED lights. Only reason i haven't is due to the cost. If someone wants to try it, please post pics or vids..i'm dying to see what it looks like. I've modifed my taillights so that all 3 sections blink with the brakes and turn signals

Funny, I just noticed today that both license plate bulbs were out and replaced them both. The bulbs only cost $4 for a pair at Advance Auto.

Did not have much trouble getting the old ones out and the news ones in.

Kilgore Trout said:
Funny, I just noticed today that both license plate bulbs were out and replaced them both. The bulbs only cost $4 for a pair at Advance Auto.

Advance has the white ones??

EVery time i look they only have yellow :(

One of mine is burned out, but that's because my lens is cracked and lets in moisture