ok my pride is hurt

jpyjfrdmstng

Nov 9, 2004
Dodge, BC
i just raced an 01 v6 auto with my 95 v8 manual and i lost, we both go the same speed at start and then he just walks when we switch gears, whats wrong with my car? mine is stock, his has glass packs and no cats or muffler. im so hurt :( once i hit around 4000rpm the engine doesnt really accelerate anymore, what do u think the reason for that would be? i put new spark plug wires on, and they seem to be arcing like crazy, my coil arcs aswell, im guessing thats real bad but i have no idea how to fix it. i guess a new coil. what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

i have the same car as you greenmustanggt only mine is totally stock except for spark plug wires and the spark plugs, they are bosch platinum and the spark plug wires i dunno tiger tails 7mm or something, i cant remember, i should just get a whole MSD ignition kit, but ya, at night, u can really see alot of arcing, u dont really have to look for it, u can see blue all around the coil, i guess thats the first thing ill replace, it just seems my high rpm has no power. i can make it chirp going into 2nd no prob, i have good low end, but no high end at all

in the dark, one can have the car idle and lightly spray water on the plug wires. if it looks like the 4th of July, time to replace. :) NOTE: BE REAL CAREFUL AND COGNIZANT OF MOVING PARTS, SINCE YOU ARE IN THE DARK).

new wires sound like a must. but those newer V6's dont turn bad times at the track. a buddy with a notch and 2K in suspension and some bolt ons runs only a little faster than his G/F in her '03 V6 auto with her driving it. :D (and he drives decently and cuts a pretty decent 60').

Get a blaster coil from MSD and be done with that mess. You may need new wires, but on a stock ignition, OEM wires and plain spark plugs will do nicely. Platinum or other special metal plugs are not necessary and some here swear it ain't good. I think plain plugs get hotter which is what is ideal (or something like that).

You need gears bad, if you don't have them. My car felt like a dog until I got gears. Of course, the new X pipe and suspension stuff didn't hurt either. If you had gears AND no electrical issues, you'd have won that race easily.

yep, copper conducts better than platinum. and since plat does not conduct as well, and if you have a wide plug gap, the electricity might try to take a path of lesser resistance (arcing). i really dont think this makes any difference in your case - just theoretical stuff.

good luck.

jpyjfrdmstng said:
would gears hurt my fuel consumption?

I wouldn't say its gonna hurt it but it will affect it to a degree depending on how steep of a gear you go with. I went from stock 2.73 to 3.73 and saw a little difference. But thats mainly because I can't keep my foot out of it. This is gonna get addicting so prepare yourself.

jpyjfrdmstng said:
would gears hurt my fuel consumption?

I went from 2.73 to 3.55 gears and I lost maybe 1 to 2 mpg. The difference is very much worth that price. In fact, on my long interstate trips, I get the same mpg as before and that is where most of my miles are.

I'll go ahead and say it: "If you're worried about gas mileage, then get rid of the stang. These cars aren't about gas mileage."

I posted a similar problem on this forum earlier, my friends car falls on its face above @4000RPM's.Search for the thread,i was told it was fuel related and its more than likely the fuel pump being weak and not provideing fuel in the higher RPM's.

If your thinking about an ignition and coil setup and you dont want to drop 300 bucks crane makes a kit for our cars. I put mine on today and it only took an hour and the hardest part was mounting the box, best part is its like $169 from summit it fixed my rough idle problem and its a lot stronger accelerating now.

cavscout371 said:
If your thinking about an ignition and coil setup and you dont want to drop 300 bucks crane makes a kit for our cars. I put mine on today and it only took an hour and the hardest part was mounting the box, best part is its like $169 from summit it fixed my rough idle problem and its a lot stronger accelerating now.

could u show me i cant find it thanx

today i seen a 05 gt race a 4door vw and the f****** vw beat the 05 wtf is going on these day's. well i dont know how you lost to a v6 mustang but that got to be a s**** feeling. WOW