Parking Lot Bumpers

lcbrownz

Jun 21, 2008
Has anyone had any problems scraping their front bumper shroud on those parking lot bumpers. In the last 2 months, I have torn my Mustang vert shroud twice in two different parking lots. The 1st time was in a Walgreen's parking where the rebar (the rod that attaches the bumper to the ground) was sticking out about 3 inches above the bumper. It ripped the shroud in 3 places(over $750.00 in damage). The second time was last week in an Applebee's parking lot. This time the the rebar was sticking out about two inches above the bumper. I am been trying to keep my Mustang is pristine condition, but with 2 accidents, it's hard.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't pull up so far. I usually leave 2 or 4 feet between my front bumper and whatever I am parking by. Sure the back end might hang out a bit but there are a lot of trucks that pull all the way up to those bumpers and still hang out farther.

I haven't torn mine up anywhere near as bad as you have, but have scrapped and scuffed several times! I now find myself over compensating like Steel Horse is talking about! I park, get out, see I have a ton of room and move up about half of that. I haven't run into anything since getting the GT500 front, but since it sits about .5" lower than the GT front with CDC Classic Chin, I've scrapped it soooo many times:eek: Good thing the chin spoiler is inexpensive when it's time to replace it...

Applebee's refused the claim by stating that my Mustang was too low for the bumper. My insurance company will honor the claim only if I admit the accident was my fault.

I have never had this problem because I treat parking lot curbs as if they are walls. I do not get near them.

In addition, why are you holding the restaurant responsible? You are the one driving into the parking lot and with the knowledge that parking curbs have be an issue in the past. I can see if there was a deep hole in the parking spot (filled with rainwater making it invisible) that you drove into that caused you to hit the parking curb, but that is not the case. I would think that you would have learned from your first experience with parking curb and avoid them like the plague. If you want to get the car fixed, do the right thing by taking responsibility and have your insurance fix the car or pay out of pocket.

I haven't torn mine up anywhere near as bad as you have, but have scrapped and scuffed several times! I now find myself over compensating like Steel Horse is talking about! I park, get out, see I have a ton of room and move up about half of that. I haven't run into anything since getting the GT500 front, but since it sits about .5" lower than the GT front with CDC Classic Chin, I've scrapped it soooo many times:eek: Good thing the chin spoiler is inexpensive when it's time to replace it...

Sorry, off topic but KD but did you change your hood? Looks better.

I'll have to agree that the rebar should not be sticking up. Parking lot bumpers are a different matter. I go to great lengths to avoid them. But any business using them should make certain they are installed properly and do not pose a hazard. That means installing them correctly.

scrapes happen, you drive the car; its not a show piece.

Thats why you got a Mustang, not a 997TT :D

Just get some touch up from your dealer to match your car, and touch it up whenver you wash... you'll go broke painting the facia every time, or look like Bigfoot!

i have my front plate mounted so if i were to hit the curb or one of those bumpers, the front plate takes all the damage. i dont have a single scratch underneath my bumper.

I stay back far enough so there's no question about hitting one (Mustangs are short cars so they won't hang out, like say a crewcab, long bed Ford pickup), or I back in. Best of all is parking away somewhere where they don't have bump stops and no idiots that will open the door of their POS Sentra and smack the crap out of your car door.