Perfect Launch

how do i launch my mustang perfect.
i have 373's,cai,lt,xpipe.
and what i mean is what rpms should i launch at bc everytime i try and do a hard launch i just sit there and spin.
just bought some new rear tires and i still spin. car just feels like maybe i need drags but id like to know if i can launch it and have a bad ass take off.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 3.73s and the stock 245/45 tire size and know your pain. What kind of tires did you buy? Are your running the stock 245/45 tire size? Do you let off the clutch instantly or do you ease out of it?

Usually the tires are the biggest factor, when my Nittos had about 25,000 miles on them I wouldn't get traction for anything, until I bought some new ones and they hook right up but sometimes struggle if I dont do it just right. I usually try different rpms, I tried just easing out of the clutch then flooring it and it hooks right up, if I try anything around 2500rpm and just drop the clutch it will spin a bit then hook right up.

You just gotta find the right tire and practice. Im still practicing with mine because I ran a 14.2 at the track and everyone on here has said that the 3.73 gears will help you shave off 3 tenths of a second off. But I have yet to do that...

Tires tires tires did I say tires. My stock 245/45 spin at an idle launch! I forgot which brand they are. They are my street tires and are extremly good in the rain but suck at hooking up. When I first put on my 315-35-17 BFG radials on my 03 cobra wheels I revved her up to 4k rpm on the street let the clutch out and she just grabbed! With out even warming them up. Second grabbed even harder!

Tires tires tires did I say tires. My stock 245/45 spin at an idle launch! I forgot which brand they are. They are my street tires and are extremly good in the rain but suck at hooking up. When I first put on my 315-35-17 BFG radials on my 03 cobra wheels I revved her up to 4k rpm on the street let the clutch out and she just grabbed! With out even warming them up. Second grabbed even harder!

Sheet, If I drop the clutch @4000rpm, hammer 2nd Redline, then hammer 3rd Redline again, I spin right up to 80mph. I have 275X40X17's. I gotta take it a little easier,lol!

yup its all about hte tires, stock tires your honestly best launching off idle or in the 2k range easing off the clutch and then putting it down, I invested in a set of drag wheels... nitto 05rs 315/35/17s and with about 300 rwhp She will hookup with a clutch dump at 4500rpm. You will never have a sub 2.0 60ft on stock street tires so my advise would be go with drag radials if you plan on racing her alot.

A good set of lower control arms will be needsd also

:ot:

bronzefr1-1-1-1.jpg

^^^That's damned nice right thar... I don't care who ya are. :nice:

Please resume your normally scheduled thread.

:leaving:

You will never have a sub 2.0 60ft on stock street tires...

100% false. I have cut 1.8x 60's on 275/40-17 street tires on multiple occasions (on a Bullitt suspension), and it would do better if the car made a little more low-end torque. I have personally seen tank_567 (turbo 2-valve) cut 1.7x 60's on 245/45-17 street tires and bone stock suspension.

Everyone is saying tires tires tires, and they will help you at the track, but unless you plan on buying 3 sets of tires a year to drive on the streets, the DRIVER is, by far, the most important thing. Unless you have 4.10+ rear gears and/or 350+ rwhp, you shouldn't have major traction problems if you are on a decent tire (Nittos, BFGs, etc.). If you are having problems, either get a decent set of street tires or learn how to drive (or both).

Launching well takes LOTS of practice. A good launch won't have much drama involved, but will get you moving in a hurry.

There is no secret formula as you described because every surface behaves differently. You have to vary the rpms and the clutch engagement to match the conditions at hand. Even during the launch, you should be making lots of small adjustments, and with enough practice it will come naturally without thought.

The general technique could be to rev to ~3000 and slip the clutch as conditions allow. If it starts bogging, give it a boot of gas and some clutch to get the tires spinning sligtly. If you are spinning, let up on the gas a bit to get it hooked up a little better. Practice, practice, practice. Some surfaces, (like asphault worn smooth), you may need to launch 1500, while others, you can go from 3500-4000 rpm. That range worked well for me at the track with 3.27s and lots of clutch slip.

As we all know, a good launch will make or break a 0-60 sprint or 1/4 mile race. I had a recent run-in with a cocky guy in a C5 vette (auto base model). I managed to get off the line well while he spun a bit. I was a nose ahead until I missed the shift to 3rd, which was a good 60mph with my gears. :D Must be embarrassing for him. haha

Reactions: 1 user
Yes practice does help (this may be because the tracks i've been on, mainly pittsburgh raceway park, are not preped as well as they could be) but on 245/35/17 coopers the best i've been able to acheive was in the area of a 2.0 flat. A simple change in tires or drastic lol made a huge differnce im talking 1.7 60 foot times with the same setup except exhaust adjustments (lt headers) I managed to pull away from a 08 gt500 until around the 1000ft mark running a 13.0 down from a 13.5

so imo the biggest factor is tires and track prep. I just believe you would need near perfect everything to put those kind of numbers with a midly modded mustang on stock tires. I'm not saying it isnt possible at all but things would need to be going in your favor.

how do i launch my mustang perfect.
i have 373's,cai,lt,xpipe.
and what i mean is what rpms should i launch at bc everytime i try and do a hard launch i just sit there and spin.
just bought some new rear tires and i still spin. car just feels like maybe i need drags but id like to know if i can launch it and have a bad ass take off.

Tires, suspension, and driving. I can make your car yank a wheelie on the street... it's all in the setup.

Speaking up setup, what is your setup? Specifically, tires and suspension?

yup its all about hte tires, stock tires your honestly best launching off idle or in the 2k range easing off the clutch and then putting it down, I invested in a set of drag wheels... nitto 05rs 315/35/17s and with about 300 rwhp She will hookup with a clutch dump at 4500rpm. You will never have a sub 2.0 60ft on stock street tires so my advise would be go with drag radials if you plan on racing her alot.
speak for yourself I have done it with street tires 1.8 60ft... Kumho ecsta tires.. They were 60$ a piece..

Tire pressure make a difference too.. Even with street tires.. You don't want to go too low but not 32lb street pressure either.. I have 245 50 16's and normally go down to 20-22lbs..seems to work best for me. If you are using 17's the pressure might be different. But I just played with mine till I found a happy medium.

100% false. I have cut 1.8x 60's on 275/40-17 street tires on multiple occasions (on a Bullitt suspension), and it would do better if the car made a little more low-end torque. I have personally seen tank_567 (turbo 2-valve) cut 1.7x 60's on 245/45-17 street tires and bone stock suspension.

Everyone is saying tires tires tires, and they will help you at the track, but unless you plan on buying 3 sets of tires a year to drive on the streets, the DRIVER is, by far, the most important thing. Unless you have 4.10+ rear gears and/or 350+ rwhp, you shouldn't have major traction problems if you are on a decent tire (Nittos, BFGs, etc.). If you are having problems, either get a decent set of street tires or learn how to drive (or both).
+1....driver mod.. I'm not the best but I have seen cars go 1/2 sec faster just by changing the driver..practice is the key..