Please help

Fordman1995

Oct 5, 2009
I have a 95 GTS Mustang and i put a new Built 306 motor with Trick Flow Stage 3 cam and Gt-40p heads and 93 Cobra intake and TB i have 26# injectors My maf is calibrated for a 30#

The car will idle and the rpm will jump up and down from 400rpm to 3000rpm and it all so has a skip when i am tring to stay at a steady speed in 5 gear i guess you can say the car is not drivable can you please help me.

• Sponsors (?)

You'd either have to tune it or swap the injectors (so they match your MAF).

But something else is very wrong if it jumps 2600 RPM for no reason. To surge up to 3K requires a HUGE vac leak or some other large issue.

Wait!!!!! Did you just say you put a Trick Flow 3 cam with GT-40p heads??? We're talking about the .574"/.595" Trick Flow cam on Iron Ford heads?

Kurt

Dude, you need to get that camshaft out of there. That's like throwing a car battery in a washing machine, it's going to tear that engine apart. There is no way those heads are ever going to flow enough air for that camshaft. Not to mention the springs on the heads likely can't handle that much lift which is going to lead to a dropped valve, which could grenade the engine. That camshaft is for a head with raised exhaust ports and a shallower valve angle. Trick Flow markets it to be used with their $2800 Twisted Wedge 'R' heads. It's pointless to try and tune the car with that camshaft in there. The reason your engine is bucking and has an irratic idle, is because the camshaft has caused the manifold pressure to drop so far below the normal readings the computer is accustomed to.

Kurt

The Trick Flow stage 1 is the best bang for the buck. There are lots of guys on here using those heads, so I'm going to leave it to someone else who is using those heads to answer your question. You can always call Comp Cams for a recommendation. They have a great number of grinds, and would most likely be the manufacturer with a grind closest to what you need.

Kurt