Questions, first trip to the track, not about times to expect

EDITED< NEW TIMES IN 18TH POST!!

OK, im going to the track this friday and had a few ideas about how to help myself do as good as i can. this is my first ever trip to the strip, so im not expecting to break any records, though i would like to see mid 14's(or less of course)

Thoughts running through my head:

1. take sisters spare(00 V6) and mine and swap them onto the front at the track to save a little weight. good idea? yes, no, doesnt make a diference in my situation?

2. im defintely taking out everything in my trunk(10 inch sub ~40lbs, and other misc. items that may add up to about 10-15lbs)

3. with the rear tires in my sig, should i run at my current air pressure? or drop them about 10 psi? i think i have about 35psi in them now. also im assuming i shouldnt do any sort of small burnout cause theyre only street tires, not a DR

4. im planning on trying different launch tecniques and shift points.

5. try different lanes? doesnt usually matter with stock cars?

anything i can do to prep myself and car till friday?

this is my 4th 5speed, so im no amateur at rowin 'em....i miss 3rd every other blue moon, but who doesnt

thanks and ill let you guys know how i do

• Sponsors (?)

1) Bad idea. The drag racers at MD will also agree, because the little donut is a 55mph tire.

2) Go for it.

3) About 30 psi. Street tires don't need to be aired out.

Uninstall the right headlight/turn signal assy. (real easy to do). This will ram air into your filter.

You asked who doesn't miss third..Guys with short throw shifters don't. You should consider one.

Dont do the spare thing..the tires may blowout.
thats fine
Drop them to around 25PSI and do a 6or so second burnout...or whenever you can see smoke in your mirrors
OK
Defonatly try each lane...more often than not, one side hooks better than the other. nd start launching at 3Kish and work up, slipping the clutch, untill it just wont hook.

Best shift point SHOULD be around 5500 for your car. Good luck.

^ um he has a shifter :shrug: I miss a gear every once in a while...but 3rd is my fault because I let off the clutch too fast (VERY VERY X 100000 rare)...2nd could be the same problem, but happenes sometimes...when cold I really cant shift VERY fast.

40th, i have an MGW, hey ***** happens

anyway i cant see how a 1/4 mile trip would be so detrimental to the donuts..... and ive heard of it bein done before(i think)

gas, that was one i forgot to list, im gonna let it go fairly low, prolly around 1/4 or so.

i know about the water box. i watched a segment on HotRod TV once about drag racing and they said about that

DON'T use the spares. Read the sidewalls.Not safe! Up the pressure in your front tires to the pressure indicated on the tire.
Try differant rear tire pressures. Start at about 30 psi and drop maybe 2psi at time. Check your 60 foot times. Back into the water box. Do a burnout till you see smoke. Removing the right headlamp with the air silencer removed works well. Concentrate on your 60 foot times, to improve your times. A .1 drop in your 60 foot, is easily .2 at the end of the track.
Most important! Have fun.

no spare tires.. i highly doubt tech would let you do that anyways. no waterbox.. drive around it and do a little burnout just too clean the tires... no need too be john force here.. i usually stop after the box and spin them for a few feet while heading too the line.

one last thing and probally the most important.. GO WHEN YOU ARE READY.. untill you get the hang of it.. just try and let the clutch out smooth and get a good launch.. .your RT does not mean crap from your times. the clock is started once you get moving.. and not tring too get a perfect RT will help you launch better.

MaxedGT said:
Concentrate on your 60 foot times, to improve your times. A .1 drop in your 60 foot, is easily .2 at the end of the track.
Most important! Have fun.

good point, never thought about it like that....

and again, to all of you, i know not to go through the water box.

ill run my street tires up front.

im gonna try the headlight thing

Spares= no no
less weight = good (although I always run at full street weight the old street racer in me)
You may or may not need to air down try and see keep going down till times get worse or it feels funny.
Launch technique if you find a good one let me know, most slip the clutch to get good 60' times.
Yes try both lanes usually one will be hooking better than the other.
Also I don't like burnouts on street radials makes them slippery IMO. Heck even my BFG Dr's don't like a 6 sec burnout. :shrug:
Some newbie mistakes to avoid, waterbox stay out of it, SLOWLY pull into the staging lights you want to stage front tires not the back, make sure you have it in a go forward gear launching in reverse into the car behind you is bad, if your on the side with the turnoffs take the first one you can so the other guy can get off the track, and most importantly don't talk smack about how your gonna lay waste to all cars in your lanes because someone will put you in your place. Have fun enjoy yourself. BTW I've seen all the above at the tracks so it happens.

on a side note, i passed my buddy flat out the other day and he said that my car smelled, like rotten eggs. my first thought was the cats cause i have heard of cats making that smell, and he agreed(hes a Honda Tech). any thoughts on the smell, what it might be? thanks

well, i went last night, had lots of fun

got to practice late, only got 2 qualifying runs because they cut it short due to a treat of rain

then we started the bracket racing, first round i totally messed up, wasnt concentrating, had a red light

after the elims were over they had some time left and we could take another run if we wanted

ambient temp was 62*

First Run Missed 3rd, bogged a lil
RT .786
60' 2.207
1/4 14.960
MPH 95.84

Second Run, same lane, bogged it
RT .375
60' 2.380
1/4 14.916
MPH 97.31

Third run, elims, different lane, decided to go with a 14.85 dial in
deep staged, red lighted, bogged the launch
no time

last run, perfect, all i would have liked to improve this was a better 60', but being my 4th run ever, ill settle for that
RT .278
60' 2.096
1/4 14.670
MPH 96.49

Track is Bever Springs out side of harrisburg, elevation is maybe a little higher than Maple Grove, track runs up hill a little, rumor has it you should take .3 off your time, i didnt, these times are whats on my slips

If you had a good time & didn't break anything--it's a great day at the track. Your times were not bad for 1st timer. I have about 10 runs w/ a supercharger & drag radials.(& 3:73) A constant 14.5 -.6 @ 101. Somehow I can't beat that but,next time I'll work on 1/8 racing. Beauty of this is we can only get better with practice.