Questions on Replacing Stereo

97predator

Aug 18, 2003
va beach
The 6 disc changer has gotten jammed again and nothing seems to get it freed up so it's time for a new deck. Is there anything odd or particular I need to know about or can I just swap out the old deck for a new one?

Is this what I need?

Kenwood - 50W x 4 Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with Detachable Faceplate - KDC-MP242

Amazon.com: Scosche FD1422B 2001-Up Ford Mustang kit with 1.5 CD Storage Pocket: Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 70-1771 Radio Wiring Harness for Ford/Lincoln/Mazda 1998-Up into Car, 16 Pin: Electronics

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

you're gonna want to replace all the speakers if you have a mach 460 system. the stock ones will sound like crap with an aftermarket radio and stock speakers. i went with all kenwood speakers after my pioneer dvd install and it sounds great

I have a Pioneer in my car with stock 460 speakers and I think it sounds pretty decent :shrug:

PIONEER-DEH-P4000UB-I-R50076-1.jpg

the factory 460 system has it's own amps and the speakers just sound "muddy" once you install an aftermarket head unit. the new head unit doent direct the correct frequencies to the amps as the original did. just give it a try and see for yourself. it is nowhere as clear as the factory stuff

Why would it sound bad with the new deck and factory speakers?

The audio geeks will give you the answer to that, I'm sure...but...

I replaced my factory stereo and have a Kenwood DNX-6140 in there now. That was all I changed...every other component of the Mach 460 system is still in there.

Call it partial laziness too. I didn't feel like ripping the entire interior apart to rewire everything so I bought the appropriate harness and just plugged it in.

It sounds fine. I'm no audiophile so as long as it's producing a clear enough sound, I'm fine with it. Right out of the box, it sounded a bit flat, so I adjusted some of the various levels on the head unit and now it sounds better.

When I bought my car, the speakers and the 460 amps were all removed.. So I took the 6cd changer and sold it on eBay and bought a nice pioneer head unit and ran new wires to all the speakers and installed a sub

Why would it sound bad with the new deck and factory speakers?

It shouldn't if you EQ it right. The factory head unit has some degree of processing built into it that it adds to the preamp signal before it heads to the amps. It could just be some simple EQ curves to flatten out the stock speakers' frequency response and then warm up the sound a little or it could be adding volume dependent loudness curves, peak limiting and rolling hi-pass filters for excursion protection, compression, time alignment and who knows what else. Being that it was designed over 15 years ago when audio DSP chips weren't as powerful or as cheap as they are now, it's probably just mostly EQ correction, although more processing could've been added with sucessive generations as power goes up and price goes down. The Mach460 system was designed as a complete system, it's not just random parts off a shelf, and all the parts of the system are designed to sound their best when working together.

I noticed a big difference in sound when I swapped out my factory head unit for an aftermarket one recently. Right out of the box, the new stereo sounded like crap - totally flat and lifeless. I've been tweaking the EQs and other processing since I got it and it's taken a lot of driving and listening to get it dialed in.

The 6 disc changer has gotten jammed again and nothing seems to get it freed up so it's time for a new deck. Is there anything odd or particular I need to know about or can I just swap out the old deck for a new one?

Is this what I need?

Kenwood - 50W x 4 Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with Detachable Faceplate - KDC-MP242

Amazon.com: Scosche FD1422B 2001-Up Ford Mustang kit with 1.5 CD Storage Pocket: Electronics

Amazon.com: Metra 70-1771 Radio Wiring Harness for Ford/Lincoln/Mazda 1998-Up into Car, 16 Pin: Electronics

Thanks for the help.

What year is your car? Your user name suggests perhaps a 1997 but the parts you've linked indicate a 2001 or later.

You should also need a RCA preamp-out to amp harness adapter.

Do you guys replacing the speakers just pop in new speakers for the default amps? Any idea what ohm rating would be best? I want to add a new headunit and speakers but don't really feel like putting new amps and such in (at least now).

The stock speakers are components but I don't think you "need" to do that. It's nice in this car because it looks like you could easily remove the top tweeters and not have the car look weird.