Quick TB question

• Sponsors (?)

I'd love to dyno it but all my money is going into the upcoming paint job...and I just laid out a decent amount for my new clutch setup...

I am asking because today I had my stepdad push the accelerator down all the way and the TB only opened about 20-25 degrees(with 45 degrees being parallel with air stream). It looked as though the plastic part on the end of the throttle cable was hitting another part of the car...? any insight?

I know I'm real tired, but wouldnt the angle from closed throttle to WOT (or parallel with the air stream) be 90*. I think so. :p

So it's opening about halfway - is that right?

WHile doing this, you can see what your TPS is reading - it might be interesting to see what it maxes out at.

In my experience, the range of throttle blade opening varies. Unless someone really paid attention during the install and adjusted things, it's seldom parallel to air flow. But it should open 75-95% of its theoretical travel (I tried to say that without using degrees).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I know I'm real tired, but wouldnt the angle from closed throttle to WOT (or parallel with the air stream) be 90*. I think so. :p

So it's opening about halfway - is that right?

WHile doing this, you can see what your TPS is reading - it might be interesting to see what it maxes out at.

In my experience, the range of throttle blade opening varies. Unless someone really paid attention during the install and adjusted things, it's seldom parallel to air flow. But it should open 75-95% of its theoretical travel (I tried to say that without using degrees).

Good luck.

lol I don't know...is it 90 degrees? It only travels a quarter of a circle.... bah...doesn't matter! haha

I any case it doesn't seems as though the plate opens very far. I can't get a pic right now but I assume one would help. It's definitely not even at half way to being parallel to airflow

if you can look straight into the TB, and the pedal is pressed you should see nothing from the circle, just like a line from it. Understand?

1/4 of a circle is 90* (circle = 360*). Or [(2*Pi)/4] = pi/2 for you math types who like those goofy units. :D

What does the throttle cable look like at idle? I'm guessing that there is slack in the line at idle. If so, you need to take that up somehow. I don't know what the proper way to do that is, but I have read on StangNet (a while back) a tip about putting a ring or something on the throttle cable end, between that grey plastic end and the stop where it sits on the TB pivot. The point of that tip was to increase the throttle tip in, and to assure WOT is acheived. I never wanted to mess with putting something on the end of my throttle cable. But I think that you need to do that or something like it.

Other than the car running slow, it shouldnt really affect the stiochiometry, unless your car is running lean anyhow.

I'm with Brad - you can dial slack out of the cable but I feel hinky about doing, and especially about recommending it. If there is a good bit, you might have to do it at the TB end of things. And if it's real bad, dont omit the thought of a stretched throttle cable - that could leave you stranded or in harms way if in traffic, etc.

Good luck.