Ram Air Hoods

All,

I am going to buy a ram air hood for my 86 GT. I also wanted to get the ram air kit that would make it functional, but it says it is from 87-93.

Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't work on an 86? I have the EFI engine like the 87+ and it is still the same body.

Thanks,

Keith

• Sponsors (?)

It's because the hoods are different. In 87 the Mustang went with the aero nose which changed the entire front of the car. Look at a picture of the front of an '86 and 87'+ Mustangs.

86_MustangGT_Pic2.jpg

87_MustangGT_Pic3.jpg

Images courtesy of stangbangers.com

I did some reading yesterday and I found out the the EFI was an option in 86. It was included in the GT models, but not the LX models. I think that may be why they are excluding 86 because it isn't universal for all 86 models. Only those LX and GTs with the EFI. I am going to call Cervinis to verify.

The bodies on these cars are the same. I can bolt the front of an 87+ to my car and it will be fine. It is just a slight difference in the slope by the headlights.

Oh gosh no... I am not butchering my 4 eye... They make a hood for an 86. I only have to lower my air box to make the ram air fit.

The comment about the nose was just to demonstrate the cars at basically the same just look different.