Return of the 5.0 Mustang

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
East Moline, IL
"The rumor mill seems to have picked up a little wind to keep churning intel regarding the next Ford Mustang and its potential powerplant. Facing contenders, the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger, Ford has to do something progressive to keep the fire burning inside every Mustang fan. Stuff.co.nz recently conducted an interview with Bill Osborne, President of Ford Australia, and sniffed out some details regarding Ford’s initiatives for putting the 5.0L V8 (from the Aussie Ford Falcon) into the next S197 Ford Mustang."

Read the whole story here...

• Sponsors (?)

It will die when new emission, fuel mpg regs and price of gas make it non practical for the masses.

I don't care if gas cost $10 a gallon I'd still fill up. But there is not much I can do if the new FED mpg and emission standards go in to effect. This stopping me from buying such a cool device.

It's going to be the early 80s all over again with car manufactures (mainly American sadly) struggling to become compliant and make decent power.

I also heard we are going to get a 5.0 and it will be in the 400 hp range and will get btter mpg than the current 4.6. The challenger really isn't a problem, the 6.2 hemie is supost to be limited production, not the base model and cost alot more than a GT. It will be more in the class with the shelby, which has 500 hp. As for the camero, we will have to see how that goes.

The new 5.0 modular engine, is also rumored to include V.V.T, along with Direct Injection, thus resulting in much better fuel economy/efficiency.

From my understanding, the new modular 5.0 will debut in the 2011 GT, along with replacing the current 4.6 :)

. The challenger really isn't a problem, the 6.2 hemie is supost to be limited production, not the base model and cost alot more than a GT. It will be more in the class with the shelby, which has 500 hp. As for the camero, we will have to see how that goes.

The 2009 Challenger line up is not so limited anymore, only the srt8-500 is limited production.

Challenger SRT-8 6.1L 425hp

Challenger R/T, manual 5.7L 375hp

Challenger R/T, automatic 5.7L 370hp

Challenger SE v6 250hp :nice:

I just hope they don't have dealer markups the first year like the 05's did.:notnice:

So go the 2nd year once 3rd year is out and get it for $3500 under MSRP when Ford gives them to anybody breathing like I did:D

The Fang

The 2009 Challenger line up is not so limited anymore, only the srt8-500 is limited production.

Challenger SRT-8 6.1L 425hp

Challenger R/T, manual 5.7L 375hp

Challenger R/T, automatic 5.7L 370hp

So only the SRT-8 should give us with only a few mods some fits as the other models aren't any better than the stock GT for HP to weight ratio. The SRT-8 tips the scale at 4140! The GT coupe is 3356, nearly 800 pounds less:eek:

I seem to remember reading a mag article about the SRT8 Challenger that said it was going to run the quarter around 13.5 with a 0-60 in the "low 5 second range". I remember thinking, "sounds like the stats for a Mustang GT", and wondering who would spend 40 grand for a Challenger that'll just run with a $25,000 Mustang GT and will get eaten alive by a Shelby. Good lookin' car but wow, what a pig. Something tells me that after the inevitable MOPAR nut run on the first couple thousand cars the Challenger will be following the GTO into "gotta offer cash back just to get rid of 'em" land.

So go the 2nd year once 3rd year is out and get it for $3500 under MSRP when Ford gives them to anybody breathing like I did:D

Yea, in 06 the dealership let me order my 06GT and pay invoice for it. I would have paid several thousand over MSRP for the same car a year earlier.
About a $5000-$7000 difference between getting one at dealer cost and paying MSRP plus a markup.

Stuff.co.nz recently conducted an interview with Bill Osborne, President of Ford Australia, and sniffed out some details regarding Ford’s initiatives for putting the 5.0L V8 (from the Aussie Ford Falcon) into the next S197 Ford Mustang."

Read the whole story here...

The one question I have is when is this 5.0 going to show up in Oz? The Falcon's V-8 is a hopped up DOHC 4-valve 5.4 mod motor, not a new motor we are unfamiliar with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't understand why Ford doesn't just create a new block with larger bore centers so we can get a 4.00 or 4.125 bore, but using basically everything they already know about the mod motor. That way, all you have to do is develop new castings, rather than designing a motor from the ground up. Or better yet, develop a good set of heads for the Windsor block and bring back push rods. From a packaging standpoint, a 351 Windsor is a smaller motor than the 4.6. For street use, you don't really need the benefits of OHC (single or dual) since that doesn't show up until you really start to turn the Rs.

The new 5.0 modular engine, is also rumored to include V.V.T, along with Direct Injection, thus resulting in much better fuel economy/efficiency.

I've heard this as well. If it's true and gets both, mileage and emissions will be much better. Direct injection, when designed properly, allows you to do some pretty amazing things, changing the air fuel mixture as combustion happens. Combine that with VVT and you get a really efficient car that produces a lot of power.
Dan

Or better yet, develop a good set of heads for the Windsor block and bring back push rods. From a packaging standpoint, a 351 Windsor is a smaller motor than the 4.6. For street use, you don't really need the benefits of OHC (single or dual) since that doesn't show up until you really start to turn the Rs.
If Ford did something like that, I'd be waiting in line as long as it took to get one for myself. Stroke it to 408 and you have a Mustang that weighs what a GT does but has the power of a GT500. Works for me :nice:.

I would rather see some other improvements, such as the Sync sound system, less plastic in the interior and a few less rattles.
Better gas mileage also would be great considering the price of fuel. It is possible to produce lots of horsepower and still keep mileage reasonable. The technology exists to improve what we are getting.

Aren't the 5.0s a little bit overrated?

I mean come on... how much better can it be than the current 4.6 GT?

ESP with gas prices the way they are, isn't Ford going in the wrong direction?

Did you read over posts # 8 and 15 ? Both V.V.T and Direct Injection will dramatically improve fuel efficiency over the current 4.6L, in addition to producing up to 400HP.

As far as I'm concerned the new 5.0 mod motor, is not only much better than the current 4.6L, but is also by far, much more technically advanced.

All in all, IMHO Ford is definitely moving forward, and going in the right direction !