Reverse lights don't work... help!

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I need to get my car inspected and my reverse lights don't work. I'll be honest and say that they haven't worked for a while, but I just never got around to fixing them. I got under the car last night and checked the contacts on the reverse switch on the tranny itself. In neutral nothing, and in reverse I had a connection so I don't think the problem is there. What else can I check? I doubt its a fuse as nothing else has stopped working.

• Sponsors (?)

When my reverse lights didn't work on my 2000 (5 speed) it was the reverse switch on the driver side of the tranny. The ball bearing inside the switch wasn't completing the circuit when the the car was in reverse.

If that's not it, then I'd get the multi-meter and check for voltage through-out reverse wiring.

I agree. It sounds like the switch closed and was copacetic.

If so, go back to the trunk and test the wires at the lights to see if the wiring has an open (do this with it in reverse, key on).

I'm lost guys... I bypassed the switch and "hotwired" the connector and I have lights. I checked the continuity of the switch and when the car is in reverse it acts as though its good (the circuit closes). i tried to run a jumper wire from the connector to the sensor on the trans and another jumper from the sensor back to the connector and it doesn't work. I have no idea how everything checks out yet it doesn't work. If the sensor didn't change when the car is put into reverse I'd say that it was the sensor, but it does. I also know that the wires are not broken anywhere because when i bypass the sensor the lights work. Any ideas???

I just got done pulling the switch out and cleaning up the contacts with a wire brush and it seems to have fixed the problem, I also tightened it up a good bit when I re-installed it. I'm thinking the switch wasn't making full contact with the arm inside the tranny that pushes on the ball of the sensor. This problem started after I had the inner tranny speedomete gear replaced, so I'm wondering if they just didn't tighten this up enough??? I'm at a loss but at least they work now!

Every time I take an electrical connector apart on my Stang, I spray electrical contact cleaner all over both sides. Most contacts are made of aluminum, and aluminum oxidizes really quick. And oxidized parts don't conduct electricity well. A good spray with contact cleaner converts the oxidation back into a conducting material and the connection works again.

A wire brush works too, but that removes a bit of metal and is more work. :)