short throw or not

sunburstgold

May 2, 2006
I just bought my mustang about a month ago and i am not happy with the shifts. They arent terrible but i just want them to be better and i'm not sure if it has an aftermarket shifter or not. does anyone have a pic or anything of the stock shifter so i can tell if i have the oem or aftermarket or just describe it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

sunburstgold said:
I just bought my mustang about a month ago and i am not happy with the shifts. They arent terrible but i just want them to be better and i'm not sure if it has an aftermarket shifter or not. does anyone have a pic or anything of the stock shifter so i can tell if i have the oem or aftermarket or just describe it.

Thanks

You should be able to tell if you have an aftermarket one or not. Aftermarket shifters, the shifts are real close, kinda of like your just flicking your wrist to shift. You can take the center apart and look at the shifter base. that should tell you for sure. Aftermarket ones usually have there name on it. BBk will have BBk, MGW has MGW and so on. so on.

If you feel like you are rowing a boat and can almost punch the radio on shift, then you have the stocker. Also it will feel rubbery as hell.

Here's a bad picture of the stock shifter
image007.jpg

Mustang5L5 said:
I wish someone made a TASTEFUL boot for the MGW that didn't cover it completelyt up like that.

That rubber one, I think I pulled it up too high but it shouldn't matter cause it's covered by the leather one.

261ff13d.jpg

Attachments

• 261ff13d.jpg
    261ff13d.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28
Any aftermarket shifter is better than stock period. I have a Steeda
Tri Ax shifter now and it will be getting replaced by the MGW shifter soon.
All is I can say is get a MGW shifter you will be very happy with it! :nice:

I ordered an UPR Blu Thunder... hopefully it will be here in a few days. I was ordering the MGW but when I called they said they were out of handles, and it would be a week or so before it was at least shipped. I thought about the Triax, but when I talked to one of the UPR guys he said he has a UPR, and his freind has a Triax... he said the 2-3 shift on the UPR is more solid than the Triax... so I saved like 30 bucks and a week and took the road less traveled and went with UPR. Also got the fully adjustable handle like the MGW's have.

Hope its a good product. Ive heard nothing but praise for UPR... from their X pipes, to their control arms, so on.

BurningRubber said:
I ordered an UPR Blu Thunder... hopefully it will be here in a few days. I was ordering the MGW but when I called they said they were out of handles, and it would be a week or so before it was at least shipped. I thought about the Triax, but when I talked to one of the UPR guys he said he has a UPR, and his freind has a Triax... he said the 2-3 shift on the UPR is more solid than the Triax... so I saved like 30 bucks and a week and took the road less traveled and went with UPR. Also got the fully adjustable handle like the MGW's have.

Hope its a good product. Ive heard nothing but praise for UPR... from their X pipes, to their control arms, so on.

You should have waited for the MGW. I had the blue thunder for years before i decided to get the MGW. The MGW is quieter and the throws are shorter. Dont get me wrong, the blue thunder/triax is way better than stock, but I could tell quite a bit of difference between the MGW and the blue thunder and the MGW was better.

BigChiefSmokem said:
You should have waited for the MGW. I had the blue thunder for years before i decided to get the MGW. The MGW is quieter and the throws are shorter. Dont get me wrong, the blue thunder/triax is way better than stock, but I could tell quite a bit of difference between the MGW and the blue thunder and the MGW was better.

I know there is a difference in the two, but I wanted something to do soon with it and not have to wait... The noise doesnt bother me, and as long as the throws are shorter than stock and the shifter finds 3rd gear, then ill be happy.

The UPR wasnt a bad shifter was it? I know the MGW seems to take supremacy... but I dare to be different, haha.

Anyone know what company makes MGW's handles? If so, I'd like to invest in some of their stock cause MGW is always waiting on more handles. Wish I knew how to make them for them. I'd make some money! :p