Shortie install tips

BooWFO

May 10, 2005
Louisville, KY
Ok Installed FRPP shorties. Best way to describe install PITA but I do have a few tips. Without dropping the Kmember
1. Plan on unbolting BOTH sides of the engine.
2. best way to get the starter outta the way is to unbolt with LONG extensions from in front of the kmember.
3. Jack the engine up using the transmission it gives a little more room to work under the car that way.
4. Ok if you have country hams for arms like I do get a buddy with thin arms to help or plan on LOTS of angry words.
5. a Good quality 1/4 ratchet works lots better than a 3/8's it can fit in the tight spots and the good ones have more than enough guts to get the headers good and tight against the head. I used snapon ratchets ZERO problems
6. While in theroy you can reuse the stock gaskets I used the percy gaskets and must say I am glad I did.
7. Plan on it taking a long time. It is not the simple 1 hour or less install like on a foxbody.

Now after all the headaches and cussing I must admit I am glad I did it. Where before it felt like it was falling off powerwise around 5500 or so now it pulls clean to the stock rev limiter. It also seems to have a smoother lowend torque . Of course that could just be the SOP dyno but it doesn't chug at low rpms like it used to. Also I can still put my stock Hpipe under there if need be I can access the starter and the tranny if need be so all in all it was a worth while time for me. Now having said all that if your not the type that works on their own car I would NOT suggest going through the expense of the install and purchase price for the modest gains they provide. I however do almost 100% of the work to my car and I pick up my parts at discount prices by scouring several internet forums and auction sites.

• Sponsors (?)