So I bought a B303 cam............

89fiveliter

Nov 5, 2009
Its the typical is this cam ok for my setup thread!:rlaugh:
but seriously, a lot of people are looking for the biggest cam yadayada yada...
I just dont want to over cam my motor. I just bought a set of gt40p heads and sent them off the Russ Folpe, previously worked at Ford perf. solutions in anahiem, ca., for a good pocket port and street/strip port polish, upgraded springs and valve job. I also have some crane 1.7's, Explorer intake, Longtubes, O/R H-pipe, A/C delete, Smog delete, 24lb injectors and Adj fuel press reg, 255 fuel pump,pulleys, 65mm t-body,76mm mass air,NOS Dry kit with a 125 shot being the most favorite! and a 5 speed with 3:73 gears.
Its literally a daily driver and has over 200k miles on it. I run on motor 90 percent of the time, so a nitrous cam isnt a priority. Money is though , cant afford a custom cam yet. when this one goes kabooom, then i will get a really good cam. As for now, is this gonna be beneficial? Maybe not THE BEST, but good? Also how should I install it? staright up, advanced 2-4 degrees or what? Any kind of input is greatly appreciated, i am trying to install all this by the middle of next week. Sick of driving around on clapped out e7 heads due to a bent valve! Gonna swap H/C all at once.

• Sponsors (?)

shweeet! from what ive read i kind expected the typical, DONT USE AN ALPHABET CAM ERRRRRR reply!! :D So if i advance it it brings the rpm range in at a lower rpm then? Does that take away top end? All and all i cant see me shifting this set up any higher then 5700rpm anyways so that would put me at a good rpm range to advance it 4 dergrees it sounds. Also one more question, i am putting a .41 head gasket on this set-up, anybody with the b-cam have a thinner gasket or milled heads? I was thinking that the pushrods will need replaced, i a plan on checking it. Just wanted to see what size pushrods or maybe have a part number. Thanks all for the helpful replies!

I've driven a B-cammed GT40P combo and found its a little lacking in low end torque as compared to an Ecammed setup. It makes TONS of power at the top end however. I'd agree with installing the cam a little advanced to regain some of the low end power, but it depends on your total combo. A nice set of 3.73's might offset it.

Nothing wrong with the letter cams. They are old, but still work.

alrighty, i think i'll try to advance it maybe 2 degrees then. seems like a good medium being that i do have 3.73's and a 125-150 shot. Cuz im not spraying til about 3500 rpm after i drop the clutch at the track. plus on the streets it will have a little more torque then straight up too. thanks for the helpful info all!

alrighty, i think i'll try to advance it maybe 2 degrees then. seems like a good medium being that i do have 3.73's and a 125-150 shot. Cuz im not spraying til about 3500 rpm after i drop the clutch at the track. plus on the streets it will have a little more torque then straight up too. thanks for the helpful info all!

sounds good, I would have recommended +2 . . .

try experimenting with 28" slicks when you spray it, either way get some better suspension pieces than stock.

I had a b-cam motor with ported D0OE heads, RPM airgap and a 670 street avenger than made 254rwhp with a c4. Its certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be but starts to fall behind when you use aftermarket heads/intake.

I'll tell you why I chose +4. Because Thumpr460 told me to. Mike is one of the more knowledgeable people with small block Fords. I sent him all of my combo info and he told me to set my cam there.

From a PM between us on 4-28-07

Originally Posted by thumper460
To give you that LOPY Idle and no P/V issues the B cam is that!! also install the FMSB cam in at 103 ICL ( it is cut on 107 , so 4* advanced) it is a 112* LSA not 107 ! cool?? the power will be there.. the racey lopy idle and tire smoking launches,,
Mike