Starting out modding...should I start fresh?

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
I wanted to buy a trickflow hci kit for around 2100 dollars, and I go to ask my dad and mechanic about it during a barbecue and the mechanic tells me he would not chance it on my stock 52k motor. I mean I know that 99% of you guys are going to say that he is nuts but what is the probability of something bad happening to my bottom end? I highly doubt anything right? It should be as reliable as stock. He told me I should buy a new shortblock but I also only have that 2k remember. What would you guys do? BTW This might not be for a while anyway. I still need to get other things out of the way (gears, tcc, exhaust, etc). I mean with 52k miles I bet some of you would tell me the motor isn't even broken in yet, lol.

Thanks guys
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

you could run a compression test on your current block to see how its holding up

i just did heads and stuff on my stock 127K shortblock

all the factory hone marks were still clearly visible, crank endplay was within spec, all the bearings looked good, and there was no crud in the oil pan so i didnt touch the stock shortblock

but every motor is different

Mine had 65k when I added H/C/I...If the motor runs fine than I doubt you'd have issues with the kit, you know its state of tune and whether it drinks oil or has any funky noises to be concerned with, in that case you'd think twice...Very rarely will you hear of someone who does the H/C/I route and then it starts blowing oil or rapping or some chit...not at the 50k mark anyway..
As Urban mentioned look for visible cross hatching on all your cylinders and a relativley crud-free motor are positive signs its in good shape...I would change the oil pump also....its cheap money..

Synned said:
Whats the easiest way to do a compression test?

take out the fuel pump relay/fuse, take out your spark plugs, and hook a compression test tool up to one cylinder at a time, crank the motor over a couple times get out and see if that cylinder holds psi...then repeat that for each cylinder

Is this mechanic like 90? He must be, because only the really really old timers think 52K is scary miles, especially on a factory, stock motor. That motor has at the very least another 50k in it with your future mods. Go on with your original plans. P.S. I would find another mechanic, because if this guy screws something up he will tell you it was the mileage on the motor and not his incompitence (he will say "I told you so"). Good luck.

Thanks guys. THis guy isn't really my mechic, he is a friend of my dads and also a mechanic so we were just discussing it. So yeah I'll definitally do a compression test before I do HCI. Thanks guys.