starting problem when car is warm?!

svasica

Founding Member
Jan 13, 1999
Long Island
I have a problem with my car when it gets warmed up.....it won't start! Its like the battery loses power when the engine is warmed up! Could it be the starter soleniod? I changed out the starter to a refurbished unit when I rebuilt the motor, could this one be bad as well? Would getting a mini-hi torque starter solve this problem or make it worse?

• Sponsors (?)

The mini starter may help a little since it won't be so close to the header, but do you even know that this is the problem? I have heard before that it may be the negative battery cable needs to be replaced. It may be deteriorating and not creating a very good ground. I would check that first before replacing a starter.

I had the same problem and it was the negative cable not getting a good ground. I had contributed to this by having the battery moved to the rear. I also have long tubes, which is harder on the starter. A hot motor is always harder to start due to increased friction. The majority of the time it can be traced to a bad ground. Check all grounds and replace them and upgrade to bigger cables and it wont happen again probably.

the wires also get hot, and when hot, are less efficient. but i would check grounds and put a shield around the starter if you can. good luck.

Does it turn over? If it does but wont start then try replacing the Coolant temp Sensor (behind the Tstat). Mine went bad and the car would only start when cold. Just my 2 cents. (Also a cheap check in the box before you drop money on a starter)

These are all good possible sources for you problem. I had the same issue and it turns out that I had a charging problem with my alternator. I have a hi-torque starter and when I go to start the car after running it for a while, it would barley turn over, changed the alternator and my problem was fixed.

I had the same prob lately change the soleniod it's only about 15 bucks and it solved my prob. Use a good borg warner not the 8 dallor auto zone special they don't hold up especialy with the battery in the rear. I tried the cheap way and after about 6 or 7 times the da** thing wouldn't stop turning the starter.My bad. If that doesn't fix it then I'd go to the mini starter. Good Luck electrical prob's can drive you nuts

Well, I just rememberd that I've changed the starter solenoid out already, so its not that. Today I put on some High Temp Thermal Tape on the negative battery cable where it is close to the headers, and also some on the outside of the starter to make sure the heat is not affecting them. I'm still searching though what the problem could be.

Another big probelm I have is my electric fan. Whenever I turn on the car and the temp is high enough so that the fan is still enganged, the fan will draw so much power that the battery cannot supply enough power to the fan and starter......it will not crank. Does anyone have a similar probelm? This is the Mark VIII fan I have installed on the car.