Steering And Brakes Help Please

Just finished my 5.0 conversion on my 91 LX. I replaced all of the steering system (rack, pump, lines, rag joint, and had to remove the steering shaft during my swap.)

My question is if a sport steering rack is supposed to take more effort to turn the wheel than the standard rack that was in when it was a 2.3.

Also upgraded to urethane bushings and CC plates. I have the 17x9 wheels too.

On the brakes side, I have never driven a 5.o car before so I dont know what normal is. I updated the entire braking system to be stock 5.0 as well. Changed everything. The entire car is as if it rolled off the assembly line with a 5.0. Is it possible to lock up the brakes on with the size wheels I'm running? It just feels like I should be able to brake harder than I can. I can stop the car, just cant lock it up. Have a new booster and master cylinder installed as well.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Best thing you can do to a stock Mustang brake system is get the Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit- it has upgraded hawk pads, shoes, stainless steel brake lines, and stainless steel caliper bushings. For around $250 you will see a huge increase in stopping.

The stock system will not lock the front wheels if you have sticky tires and hard brake pads.
Follow the advices given by @mikestang63 and you should see some improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok that's what I was thinking. Im going to bleed the system again to be on the safe side. My next brake job will be an upgrade. This time around was just to get the car road worthy again.

Any input on the steering effort change between standard and sport steering racks? Thanks.

Yes, the sport rack is stiffer than the 2.3 rack.

Locking up the wheels is a poor judge of braking ability. If you have awesome tires on, you will have a harder time locking the wheels up than if you had pep boys specials

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the sport rack is stiffer than the 2.3 rack.

Locking up the wheels is a poor judge of braking ability. If you have awesome tires on, you will have a harder time locking the wheels up than if you had pep boys specials

Awesome thank you. I have primewells on it. They were on sale at firestone for 60 each installed. Couldn't turn that down. They handle really nice. The braking has improved greatly as I wear into the new pads and rotors/drums more.

Thanks for the input on the steering. I did end up taking everything back apart again, re-greased all the bearings, and ended up having to adjust the length of the shaft. It was putting too much pressure on the rag joint. Steering is still stiffer than the standard rack, but its much better. I think you are right and the extra stiffness is due to the sport rack. Now I just have to fix the wheel rub on full turns.

Thanks again for the input.