taking stripes off

87WhiteStang1

Dec 19, 2007
So i would liek to take the red stripes off the molding on my white GT... it appears that all of it is just sticker. any tips for doing this. I was planning on using a heat gun. pointers would be great i dont want to f*** it up. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have never removed GT stripes before, but use a heat gun on LOW, and you will need some adhesive remover for the left overs. It will probably be a little tedious due to the age of the stickers and once you start...you're comitted! I had a friend try to remove his red stripes off his black 88GT, he became fed-up really quick and decided to use electrical tape to cover the red. That lasted for about two days and looked crappy needless to say. Take your time, and do it right. Good idea to wax your moldings after you use adhesive remover though. Good Luck!

I had an 87 Turbo Coupe with the same red strip on the molding. I did'nt remove it but covered it up with real wide silver pin-stripe. I'm sure you can do the same with a very wide black pin-stripe. My friend with the same car just used plain old black tape and worked very well for him.

Time

It can be done, I did it on my other black LX that had a red stripe in the molding.

I did not use a heat gun, but I did it on a 85 deg day. It takes time, a razor blade helps to just grab the corner of the stripe sometimes. Googone may help too. The problem is the stripe will break apart as you try to remove it so you will end up having a lof of little 1 or 2" pieces you need to try to grab onto and remove.

Took me the better part of a day to get it all removed and get the residue off.

Looked tons better with the stripe gone. :nice:

They do make exact fit stickers, I would check CJ Pony Parts or LRS. I would think they may have white, I will see if I can find them for you.

EDIT: For the price this sounds good to me.

Mustang 1987-93 Body Stripes at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

thanks man... i think il try to remove them when i got a day when i know i have time... if that doesn't work too well i guess il be ordering those bad boys... thanks for the info guys!:nice:

I have never removed GT stripes before, but use a heat gun on LOW, and you will need some adhesive remover for the left overs. It will probably be a little tedious due to the age of the stickers and once you start...you're comitted! I had a friend try to remove his red stripes off his black 88GT, he became fed-up really quick and decided to use electrical tape to cover the red. That lasted for about two days and looked crappy needless to say. Take your time, and do it right. Good idea to wax your moldings after you use adhesive remover though. Good Luck!

Another trick I used couple times is a hobby iron. Since I'm in to R/C planes I decided to try using one that I had that is used to shrink/remove monokote film on model aircraft. It works good because they are flat irons and you have more control over the heat and can use "socks" so that you dont transfer anything to the mouldings like dirt or color, avalible any where the irons are sold. Like everyone else said though, you need a few hours and some patience.