the 275/50/15 bulge

steel1212

Jun 24, 2004
Frankfort, Ky
Finally got around to getting that bulge pic :D

thebulge13zr.jpg

thebulge21co.jpg

Oh by the way the fluid under my car isn't from my car....we had to work on a cheby in that spot :notnice:

Attachments

• thebulge13zr.jpg
    thebulge13zr.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 57
  • thebulge21co.jpg
    thebulge21co.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 55
  • Sponsors (?)

steel1212 said:
7" lol. I don't plan on going on autocross with that thing if thats what you mean lol. I just hope it doesn't rub on the street due to to much tire roll.

Sidewall deflection shouldn't be much of a problem for rubbing. Generally the sidewall only deflects where the rubber hits the road. By the time the wheel turns enough to reach fender height the sidewall should be most of the way back to it's normal center. Tho I do suppose it will move over a bit...

Finally got to take it out for test drive. No rubbing what so ever. There is a slight roll it feels like or it may just be that the tires are that much bigger and I'm not used to it or that they are brand spanking new.

can you show a few pics of the fender lip and how much the bulge sticks out past the fender. i realize it 'fits' cause you say theres no rubbing, but you also said its a shorter tire so it could be stickin out past the vertical fender lip line and not hit if the tire was shorter and the suspension travel is limited. just hold 2 wood rulers against the widest part of the tire the section width and one against the inside of the fender lip where its probably rolled. if the rulers cross your tires will touch under full travel.

RaSMG said:
can you show a few pics of the fender lip and how much the bulge sticks out past the fender. i realize it 'fits' cause you say theres no rubbing, but you also said its a shorter tire so it could be stickin out past the vertical fender lip line and not hit if the tire was shorter and the suspension travel is limited. just hold 2 wood rulers against the widest part of the tire the section width and one against the inside of the fender lip where its probably rolled. if the rulers cross your tires will touch under full travel.

thats what i want to see too

Steel - you have many pics, but I believe you are missing the most important angle that ras is looking for. Take a photo like one of these two:

newtires8.jpg

newtires4.jpg

That gives a clear and complete view of the rear quarters vertical plain, fender lips, and tire positioning.

downviewoftire5ff.jpg

sideveiwoftire2du.jpg

This one shows that it is right to the lip but not past it. The second one shows how much room from bottom of fender lip to tire. I'll try to get another pic like Nick's this week though if thats whats needed.

Attachments

• downviewoftire5ff.jpg
    downviewoftire5ff.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 46
  • sideveiwoftire2du.jpg
    sideveiwoftire2du.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 55
70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Sidewall deflection shouldn't be much of a problem for rubbing. Generally the sidewall only deflects where the rubber hits the road. By the time the wheel turns enough to reach fender height the sidewall should be most of the way back to it's normal center. Tho I do suppose it will move over a bit...

Deflection will sometimes cause rub with the leaf springs. I have a quarter inch spacer that is sometimes needed when running a "tall" tire.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Also I had another thread, but I've already road tested it and I went around corners,quick lane changes, hard take offs :nice: with no rubbing what so ever. So unless I decide to pull a boat with my car or put a goose neck ball in the trunk I don't see a problem with it. I would rather have 8" rims but the suggested is 7.5 to 9.5. I'm only 0.5 off the suggested smallest and like I've said before I've seen more hp/torque guys running 315s on 8" rims with no problems, not saying its a good thing, but they aren't haveing any problems.