Thermostat Question

87_LX_5.0

Aug 24, 2010
Uniontown, PA
I have a fall project of upgrading/updating my cooling system. I plan to replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and housing. I have no overheating issues but the hoses and radiator look to be many years old.

I currently have a 195* thermostat in place and according to my autometer gauge I run right at 195 once up to temp. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to running a 180* thermostat over a stock 195*?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't think of a single disadvantage to a 180* T-STAT with modern motor oils. If you were talking 160* then the conversation would be different.

You EEC will operate well in that range and hot enough that the motor oil is properly heat cycled.

Yep, if you live in a plenty warm climate (i.e. Tx, Ca, Fl) Then a 180* is just fine... No EEC issues at all with that one. Even in hot weather a 160* is finicky with the computer. A good water pump and either a all metal Aluminum or 3-Row brass radiator would do wonders in any temperature.

(* if you see any snow or sub 40 degree weather, I would get the brass)

A cooler motor runs better. With a 180 t-stat it will also help keep it cool. Going lower will make the computer think the engine needs to warm up and go into open loop where it will not use the feedback from other sensors as much, which will hurt performance. The reason for the factory 195* is for emmissions.

The reason for the factory 195* is for emmissions.

+1

The engine is much more efficient at higher temps. So if you live somewhere where you still need the sniffer test, stay 195*

I've had a 180 for 10+ years and passed the sniffer test with it when I took it. My temp stays in the 182-188 range on my auto meter gauges.